Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head unit connecter?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bryguy00b, Apr 6, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok the connector for the cd player in my truck is different for the casset player (stock) in my blazer..and i noticed in my truck..the connector wires are all spliced into other ones. is this becuase the cd player required a different connector? and do all cd players come with there own conncter..that you splice into your existing hook ups? cuase i thought they were all universal. and would another cd player hook up in my truck? are cd player and casset connectors different? thanx!

2. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Connectors on the back of the radio (head unit) will vary by make. Kenwoods aren't usually the same as Pioneer, etc. Your new radio or existing one will have a plug for it. Go to Wal-Mart or your local stereo shop and get a wiring harness adaptor for your vehicle. They're in the automotive section at Wally World. That will plug into your vehicles factory harness where the factory radio plugged in. You will need to wire the two harnesses together. Soldering and heat shrink tubing is best for this but crimp coneectors will work. Your new harness will be labeled what each wire is and hopefully your head units harness will be too. If not they usually match the wires on the harness adaptor. Plug the harness into your factory plug and the then plug the radio end into it and you should be set.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so would another sony headunit work you think?

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

usually you have a big flat plug on the end of the wires coming ou tof the back of your stereo. if you go to liek curcuit city they have a plug that plugs into that plug and then plugs into your plugs for the stock stereo. this is what I did with my g/f's car anyways.

-Scott

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool ill look for one of those...thanx..

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i went to circut city and pepboys and i found some wiring harnesses with a big arse black connector on it and a bunch of wires on it. is there a universal type connector that will fit my stock and aftermarket sterios? and i would need to take the existing harness for the sony cd of to put the other one on right?

7. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

You will have to take your harness that's plugged into your sony now and wire (splice) it into the new black harness. Then just plug them up. There should be instructions with the new harness.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i tested the harness on my truck..the connections in the plug and none of them check out. the fuse connection is good...but the harness...no power is getting through to the sterio. what do i do now?