Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head unit install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chsblazer84, Jan 18, 2006.

1. chsblazer84

chsblazer84 Registered Member

i have a '84 k5 and am startin to put a sound system into it. the only part im really concerned about is installing the headunit. i dont really mind havin to cut the dash to get a single DIN cd player in it but if its possible not to then i was wondering how i might go about doing that. also it seems like i would need some sort of adapter box for the headunit and was wonderin where i might be able to get one from. im really just lookin for some advice on what the best way to put in a newer headunit into it the easiest way possible. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

also if anyone could tell me how they did their own thatd be awsome.

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I just cut the dash with a dremel tool to get the head unit to fit. As far as wiring goes u can get the adapters from walmart. The adapters have plugs on them that plug into connectors where it used to plug into the factory radio. Then has pigtails comin off that you use to hook up to your headunit. They are all color coded for the headunit wires. Hope this helps. Gotta type fast here at work.

3. stiches

stiches Registered Member

hey i never put in head unit in a k5...but if you want to keep the dash the way it looks...go out and get a new trim peice and cut it so you got the stock one for later...and as the other guy says wal-mart has pig tail adapters for the radio...or go down to a local sound shop and ask a professional...

4. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

Your dash will never be the same again. THAT IS A GOOD THING THOUGH. That is why we have these trucks. We drive them, play with them, modify them, and MAKE THEM BETTER. You are going to have to do some cutting to your dash. If you want it to look good, you should go to a stereo shop and get a dash install kit. It just consists of a piece of metal or plastic that fits around a din unit. I just held my piece up to the dash (after removing the stock stereo) and mark out the din pattern on the plastic bezel. I cut that out with a Dremel. After I got that, I took the cage from the stereo and slid it through the din hole that I cut in the bezel. I marked out the din onto the METAL inner dash, and cut that out. After checking the cage for fit, I slid the install kit plate over the cage, slid the cage into the dash and secured it. Piece of Cake!

Don't worry about modifying your dash. After all, do you really think that you will put that ancient, silver knobed, no power, scratchy sound piece of stuff back into your truck.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You could always get the 2 knob new stereos they make for "classic cars", they control and hook to a hidden cd changer. LMC catalog shows them. Pricy though, and not sure on the quality, no good features to speak of either, other than digital tuner (yah).

Your best bet, especially since your '84 already, is just to cut the metal dash, get a 2din style HU (or 1din HU and the 2din to 1din plate that comes in most install kits for GM and chrysler) and get a new dash face plate from the 88-up that has a large 2din cutout already.
    In my '73 I fit a 2 din style, but since the dash face plates are differentfrom '80s trucks, I gave '89 gauge plate and a '73 gauge plate to a friend of mine who works with plastics, to have him morph the radio section or the '89 into the lower corner of the '73 plate. He's not done yet. But you don't have to worry about that, your '84 already has the wiper on the stick and the headlight switch moved higher, and the furthur out protruding dash pad just like the '89-'91's, so just go to the junkyard or eBay and get dash bezel with the larger opening for the HU. You still have to cut the metal underneath though, but with the new style bezel, it looks very clean.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Cut and enjoy.

7. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I replaced my plastic console with the steel stereo console from Tuffy Products. I relocated my head unit to the console and LOVE it. Very easy to reach, secures nicely when the top is off or down, and I like the extra storage offered by the Tuffy console. It's a more expensive option than what you're thinking of doing now. Let me know if you want pics of the setup.

8. 91BurbDude

91BurbDude Registered Member

Actually, that Pioneer is a 1.5 DIN size not double DIN. DIN=2 inches tall, 1.5 DIN=3 inches tall, double DIN=4 inches. My 91 Burb uses the 1.5 DIN size. Measure twice, cut once.:wink1:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is what I do so it doesn't "destroy" the dash. Take the plastic dash piece off. In the pic below, cut the metal on the blue lines (a hacksaw blade will work), then fold the two tabs inward on the green dotted line. This will open up the metal opening enough for the cd player and not actually remove the metal that mounted the shafts of the old radio. Then cut the plastic piece so the sleeve for the cd player fits in it. Put the plastic trim piece back on. Slide the sleeve for the cd player into the hole and bend out any of the tabs that look like they will hold the sleeve in the dask. Use a thin piece of flat steel about 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide to make a "support bar" that mounts to the bottom of the metal dash and the stud on the back of the cd player. I've done many this way and it works great and no extra kits are needed. If you ever want to mount the 2 shaft radio again, just pull the metal back into place (tack weld it if you want) and find a replacement plastic trim piece.

[​IMG]