Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head unit installation

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mud390, Jul 29, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

How would I go about installing a DIN sized head unit (cheepy walmart pioneer) in my shaft style dash? I know I'm gonna have to cut some metal out, but whats the best way to go about it? Thanks!

Kris

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

use the sleeve that the radio mounts in as a template for your holes.remove the dash bezel,you have to cut that and the dash seperately.cut the hole in the bezel,put it back into place,and transfer the pattern to the dash.i have used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade to do this several times.if you have access to a demmel tool with a cut off wheel,this would work nice also.once you have that done,your home free.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I did that in my chevelle dash and it works well. I am going a different route in my blazer. I am making an overhead console and installing my cd player there. It is a hideaway unit and will be practically invisible from outside. Then I'll just put a crappy factory unit in the dash. If a theif doesn't know what you have they won't steal it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Post pics of your overhead when you make it and install it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif