Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

head unit overheating

Discussion in 'Audio' started by tx_sub, Aug 21, 2004.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

my stereo is overheating. my brother had it installed professionally a few years ago. i went off to school for a few years adn have it back now. he said its been doing it for a year or so. since header installation, he says it happens faster now. its a kenwood. don't know the model off hand. any ideas? power fades even when i have the ac full blast.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I would say that the design of that Kenwood's ventilation is not the best. You could try rigging up a vetilation system for the head unit. Just mount a 12V computer fan stratigically placed on the head unit should work. Or if you felt creative you could run a duct going to the fan so it's pulling in cool air. Just a thought.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go to a 4 core. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

But seriously I would mount a fan near it. I have never heard of a deck overheating, an amp at a low ohm load but not just the deck. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, decks have amps, I've seen it lots of times. Sometimes you might just get one that pops out hot CD's after some hard playing. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I had one that I swear should have been melted. I couldn't even hold on to the CD!