Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, May 17, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I want to buy a set of headers for my 87 350 K5. My question is, which will work with all of my emissions stuff? I was looking at some, that come with the 02 sensor bung, but say they arent equiped with air injection manifolds. What is air injection, and do I have it? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AIR is/are the tube(s) that inject air into the exhaust manifold. I *think* some applications your year didn't get AIR at all, but I'm not positive.

Two major variations of the AIR systems that I recall, which will be important to you: either 4 injector nozzles per manifold, or one large one per manifold. That is something that will need clarification from the manufacturer.

I would say definitely start with one that has everything you need (like AIR and O2) as buying the individual components is fairly expensive, AND you will likely void the manufacturers coating warranty, if there is one, by welding to them.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thorleys will have the 02 bung and the AIR fittings already installed. I believe all 87 non 1 ton or HD 3/4 have AIR. If its a small block it should have one pipe. I had thorleys on my sb, well, again on my bb lol.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I just looked at my manifolds, and on each side, there is a long metal pipe going into the manifolds on the number one cylinder and the number 8 cylinder. Is this the air injection yall are talking about? Thanks.
    -Harrison

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Yup! The only thing I have not figured out yet on my headmans, is that the AIR tubes goes to the #1 and #8 and on the headers the AIR adapter is right in the middle. I guess I'll have to cut it shorter and have somebody weld it back. Anybody have any experience w/ this? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not with that particularly, but I did have to weld another piece onto my headers (EGR feed) and talked to hedman about it.

Welding to the headers voids the warranty. Mine are the elites, so perhaps they don't care on the uncoated ones? (if they sell any)