Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header bolts ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Jul 23, 2006.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

How many of you have used the allen socket head header bolts for SBC's. Pro's? Con's? I've never used them, but I've never had a reason to either. But my latest POS has a problem with the bolts coming loose and backing out.

2. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

pro:Easy to use.
    cons:age/heat/rust and they split when you try to loosen/tighten them.

I use stage 8 locking fasteners on all of my headers. Tighten them once. period.

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you do use them some of the bolts you cant even get to with the allen head. so you just have to wrench them.

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I just purchased these for my '88. They are junk. Stripped out on the first turn of the first bolt. Then again, I did buy the $5 set at Pep Boys... A wrench works just fine.

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

If you get allen head ones it would be a good idea to buy a allen socket that can be used at an angle. I use some 3/8" allen head bolts around the carb, its angled but with the tool i can turn em loose coming straight from the top.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I use stainless allen head bolts in my headers. No problems whatsoever.

I didn't buy them as some kind of kit, though. Just got the right size bolts from a bolt supplier and torqued them to the proper specification.

Oh, and I used regular manifold gaskets, not those cheap-ass paper header gaskets.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good luck...

I put stainless steel studs in the exhaust manifolds of one truck I had--never again!..they didn't rust,but got so brittle they snapped like peanut brittle when I went to take the pipes off to change them!.:doah:

I melted a bunch of drill bits trying to drill them out,and my torch couldn't melt them so I could blow them out either!--I ended up taking both manifolds off and taking them to work,so I could use an end mill in the milling machine to remove the broken off peices!..:mad: ..they seemed to "weld" themselves to the manifolds,they wouldn't just unscrew like a regular bolt would!..

I am not sure what grade of stainless those studs were,but they were like tungsten!..I'll stick with grade 8 from now on,or even softer ones..at least they can be drilled or blown out with a torch!.--maybe the cylinder heads dont get as hot as the cast iron manifolds and you wont have any issues with stainless bolts..good luck!..:crazy:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like either really crappy stainless or galvanic corrosion. I always use anti-sneeze on every bolt but especially when there are two dissimilar metals. I pulled the stainless bolts out of my headers when I removed the engine a couple months ago and they came out like buttah. :D

They had been installed for about 6 years or so.