Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Bolts???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85k5mudtoy, Nov 7, 2005.

1. 85k5mudtoy

85k5mudtoy Registered Member

Hey guys, im taking off the stock manifolds off of my 85 blazer w/305 and putting on a set of full length headers. My question is that the stock bolts/studs are pretty long. Do the new ones for the headers need to be the same size? Can you buy a header bolt kit somewhere for these trucks?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jesse

2. wicked jester

wicked jester 1/2 ton status

They should come with the bolts that you need. My advice is to toss out the junk gaskets that come with the headers and get a good set, like Mr. Gasket ultra seal. I have had good luck with these not blowing. Keep checking the bolts to make sure they are tight for the first while and you should have no problems. Retighten them after the first run/cool after install then retighten them after a few more run/cool cycles and keep an eye on them to make sure they are tight. They will take set and should keep tight but a quick check is always good to do.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Maybe even pick up a set of ARP header bolts

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I do not know exactly what makes header bolts back out, but I haven't had that problem with mine. I somewhat suspect this depends on how well supported your exhaust is after the headers, you get a lot of leverage with the length of the exhaust system if it's not supported like the factory did.

I'm running hedman elites, I fully expected to have to replace the bolts that came with the headers, but I haven't had cause to. I've gone back to check tightness a few times, and they have never been looser than when I installed them.

On recommendation from others here, I used the metal clad (normal) manifold gaskets (fel pro IIRC) and those haven't leaked or caused any problems either.

It's not like its tough to go back in and swap the bolts if you DO have problems, as long as you get some with the headers, try those and see if they hold up first. That's my opinion anyways.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Summit Racing and Jegs sell stainless steel header bolt kits. Nice if you don't like taking apart rusted stuff. :D They're not too expensive either.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Most local auto parts or speed shops should stock header bolts. Just remember to run it for a while and then re-tighten them. Also check every oil change. They like to loosen up and sometimes completely come out. Also invest in some decent gaskets and use the ones the headers came with for toilet paper... :haha: