Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header collector/ front driveline clearance problem with no lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 1, 2002.

just had headers put on the work roach and went to mock up the front driveline and it hits the collector flange. looks like a little grinder work should fix it but it will still be damn close to the exhause pipe. anyone else exerience this? anyone here even have a truck that is not lifted? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif not sure if it matters but the headers came off a 1st gen blazer. i've only heard of shackle clearance problems- which i don't have.

as a side note. the frickin muffler shop didn't bother re routing of just moving my battery to starter line and i ended up damn neer burning right through it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif simple thing to fix. took me 5 min on my back in the driveway so i know they could have done it faster on the rack. oh and they disconnected my temp sending unit wire and failed to re attach it. nothing big but i'll never tell a shop i'm trying to get something done cheep again. still doesn't top the time sears took over 4 hours to but shocks on my wife's burb and when it was done 3 of them where loose. but that is a whole nother story......

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

It may be that the headers were made to fit around a 203 t-case and not whichever one you have /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your profile doesn't say what year truck you have. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif If it isn't a first gen K5, then some fitment issues should be expected. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Check some header parts lists to see if the first gen K5's are listed as using the same part number as the second gen K5's. I don't think that they do. Sounds like a bit of pipe bending may be in your future. Remember to leave enough room between the header and the driveshaft to clear when the engine moves around in its mounts. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I just put a Big Block in My 71. I had Ordered Hedman Elite Headers, since they are Coated with some type of Aluminum, no rust, no rot Coating. Mine did'nt fit either, so I chose to cut 6" of length off of the Passenger side, Measured up 6", and cut it there. Other then having to reweld Them up, they Really Clear the Front Driveshaft.

While I was Welding Them up, My Wife Stumbled into the Shop and asked, {did'nt You just pay $255.00 for Those?} and I replied Yes, but I"m only messin up half of Them, so it's only, $127.50. LOL Anyhow it really worked out Great just to Lop em off, no more clearance Problems, even with a Dana 60.

4. sorry, i have a mostly 76 long bed. it has a 350/th350/208. before i got the headers i posted on here to see if anyone had run 1st gen headers on 2nd gen trucks and a number of them had with good success. so i thought it was worth a shot. i think the grinder will fix it.