Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header collector vs. HD extended shackle

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sub_Versive, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

As I mentioned in my other post, my extended shackle from ORD was hitting my header collector flange. It's really just grazing it, but if I had put a bolt and nut all the way through, it would have really fouled my collector flange the first time I moved the suspension. I ended up using a steel thread insert from the local Ace Hardware and drilling and tapping one end of the shackle to hold it. The insert has 4 keys that drive in after you thread it in to hold it in place, but because I'm paranoid, and happen to have a TIG welder, I welded both sides. I also used a grinder to add a chamfer to the edges of the shackle that will probably still clip the collector flange - I'll check tomorrow morning, drove around a bit today. I have some photos of the process, but unfortunately, I haven't taken any of the collector / shackle yet. I'll get some in the morning with the 36's on it now.

http://www.donttrythisathome.org/modules/Gallery/album22 has the pics.

Jake Kooser
    www.donttrythisathome.org

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have doug thorleys and had the same problem... stephen suggested tapping the shackle and oversizing the bolt...which I did... only time will tell if its a good fix or not... Im not real happy at the thought of that bolt breaking but I cant see any other good fix at this point
    cam

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

FWIW - I have a set of Hedmann headers that the collector is about 4 or 5 inches from the shackle, but real close to the starter (heat). If the bolt breaking becomes a problem then maybe this could be a fix? If the problem is that the shacle will hit the flange and not the pipe, then maybe cut the flange off of the collector and weld the pipe to the collector. This is how I have my exhaust done so I don't have to worry about leaks.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That's not a bad idea. You could even look at going with the newer style ball collectors and maybe gain some clearance.