Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Dilema

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Jul 13, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Well heres my problem: I'm getting my new bigblock (454) within next week or so and I'd like to find some headers that will fit. I Have a 71 blazer and theres only about 1/4 inch of space between the current 454 manifolds and the fraimrails. my last solution would be to have some made but i dont really want to go that route... thanx in advance

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Heddman makes a nice set that we just put on my buddy's '72 Sub'. I think they only ran around $100 too. It's tight on those frames, but they dropped right in. Call Summit 1-800-230-3030.

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Here's something else to add to the fire- I'm not sure about your 71 but my big block headers on my 87 hit the front shackles and front driveshaft when I go off-road with it. These headers are Dynomax Ceramics. I've looked everywhere for shorty headers but nobody makes any for the older trucks. They do make them for the newer (90+) Chevy trucks but I'm not sure if those will clear our frame. If you find anything, let me know.

Shawn
    87 K5

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure JBA doesn't make shortys for the older chevys, i could have sworn that i was looking at Truckperformance.com or performancecombos.com or some site that listed JBA shortys for my 75, maybe it was a mistake, and i don't know if they had them for a Bigblock but you might track them down.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

hey thanx guys I e-mailed summit and asked them if they carried any that would fit and they gave me a part number for a set of hedmans. thier probably the same ones bigburban is talking about. so I went to hedman.com and checked on them and sure enough there supposed to fit a K5 with a bigblock, only 98.96 too. so I'll probly order them this coming week. the part number is HED-69110 if anyone else needs it. as far as hitting the shackles I don't THINK this will be a problem as the off-roading I do is all mud trails and no rock so not much articulation involed.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The answer to everyone's prayers is Thorley Headers. Formerly Doug Thorley Headers. I've got model 304Y on my 77 big-block and they clear better than every single header i've ever seen. AND you have to try hard to break 'em. I managed to break one and after 2 years and no paperwork they made a custom header (the design changed a little) and sent it OVERNIGHT! A few of my friends have them (350 in a 79, my 454 in a 77, 460 in an 84 f250, etc) and they fit better than any we've ever seen (and we look!).

They are also tri-y design with good collectors and they cost $350ish

http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

Squash