Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header dilemma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

OK. Thank god I am such a cheap skate that I held off on ordering headers. I just noticed something kinda important. I was all set on the Hedman full length headers for my big block. Then I happen to notice (thanks to summit) the cylinder head port shape is ROUND. Guess what shape I need? SQUARE. :doah::doah:

All the headers I looked at on Summit are round. Anyone know anybody that makes square port headers for a K5 with a big block?

I have the set that came off the camaro but I don't think they're going to fit unfortunately. I may have to come up with a way to make them fit from the looks of it.

Trying desparately to avoid custom headers (see first complete sentence in post) and trying to keep it under 250-300 bucks.

helllllllp..

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So what is the tube diameter of the round ports you can get for cheap? Be a pretty harsh transition, but if the round ones are big enough diameter so you aren't creating a blockage to flow, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yeah, just go with the round ones.

4. SkysTheLimit

Here's another catch I didn't realize... The exhaust port has been raised .5 over stock. The size is 1.560" X 1.900". I'd need a 2" primary with the .5 offset. I think i'm going to go have the set I have for the camaro fitted.

EDIT: or does having the port raised mean they moved the bolts with it? just causing issues with the spark plugs? Maybe i'd be ok with 2" roundies... ????

If it isn't 1 thing, it's another.... yuck

5. JanneB

JanneB Registered Member Premium Member

If the exhaust ports are raised the bolt holes are too. No problems there.

I have raised ports on my 502 and now the plug wires are easier to rout under the headers, at least on my AFR:s, the plug position may be different from head to head.

I had this same problem as you have, I bought a Hedman Husler weld up kit.
    I had to cut and turn and shorten and everything to make them fit.

6. SkysTheLimit

I realized yet another issue even with going to big round port headers. Stupid math. a rectangle hole 1.9" X 1.56" has a little thing called a hypontenuse. I'm going to see if I can get those camaro headers to fit. They seem like they want to. If not, i'm going to have to find someone to cut and hack them up to fit.

I'll look into the husler weld up set too. Thanks JanneB.