Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header & Exhaust Kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Trailboss_jr, May 11, 2002.

1. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Anyone used the header & dual exhaust kits from Summit, jegs, etc - did they fit right up with no probs a s advertised???

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not a Blazer, but a friend of mine installed a Summit header set for his 1979 Firebird and it fit no problems.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

my friend put some 100 dollar headers from summit into his 87 blazer 4"lift and 33" BFG's (just for FYI )
    He said he had to re-rig the Ac bracket, do some ghettorigging or something but it all worked out. Hes now running true duals and she said he felt it really opened up his exhaust (of course) and he loves it

4. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

I put the Hooker Comp. Headers and Hooker Dual comp. 2.25" exhaust kit on my Jimmy Last fall and it goes right in place, You can order them from Summit or Jegs. Chris

5. Trailboss_jr

Trailboss_jr Registered Member

Thanks Chris, just ordered it!

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I put a dynomax header dual exhaust combo on my wifes Sub.It fit great and sounds really good.I had no problems.Got it from Jegs.

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i have the full dynomax kit, the headers are ok, a little thin for my taste, the sound is great, but they just dont line up at all once you get to the rear of the vehicle.
    i wasted so much time trying and trying again to get the duals level, and i finally gave up.
    everything is perfect except for the rear section of pipe.
    i dont know if it'd be cheaper to rebend it or have a new one bent. have to do a little research, but on my 85 k5, the fit wasnt great.
    However, the sound is great, when i stomp on it heads turn, and most are surprised to see a big truck instead of an old muscle car.

8. gmcsrgr8

gmcsrgr8 Registered Member

My brother ordered summit's headers (their own brand) and he had to hammer in a dent on one of the tubes to get a spark plug in. I ordered hooker headers (from summit) and they fit perfectly.Also the hookers are thicker gage which is nice because my brother is constanty changing gaskets. I then took my jimmy to a local muffler shop to do the dual exhaust.Shop around for this because prices from shop to shop vary significantly!

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Don't you love the looks people give when you drive to the muffler shop with open headers? I had a set of race pipes for my '69 Mustang fastback. 3" pipes off the headers back to a mandrel bent 45* and dumped right in front of the rear tires, ends sliced to match the body lines. Those sure sounded nice but they were F*%$^&( LOUD!

10. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

Just F.Y.I. don't buy the hooker headers and exhaust kit for a 89 Dodge 1/2 ton 360 2wd THEY DON'T FIT AT ALL!!! As I just found out today. They hit the frame and the dual exhaust wont clear the gas tank!! To bad my other truck is a Dodge. Chris