Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header flange bolt torque?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevBlazin, Apr 8, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I'm going to replace the gaskets on my headers soon cause they're leaking. Any idea on a good torque for the flange bolts. My headers are flowtech ceramic ones with a fairly thick flange, maybe 1/4". thanks

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You can always tighten them more. If you have thick flanges, you can go tighter. I'm not sure of a specific torque, but go only as tight as you have to. Try to stop just before the flange bends. Also, you will need to retorque them after each of the first four or five heat cycles. Check them at every oil change after that. I suggest grade eight bolts if you are gonna have to take them out. I have broken grade five and stainless bolts trying to get them loose to swap the gasket. I also recommend pinch lock nuts to keep them from backing off. Remember to rotate your collector flange for maximum clearance between shackle bolts and header.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tighten the crap out of them. Start in the middle and work out and get them as tight as you can. Tighten them every day or every other day for the first 2 weeks, then check them once a month afterwards.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have found that the best thig is to replace them with the copper ones.
    I tightened mine when I installed them and have not touched them since.
    It has been over 2 years now and no leaks.