Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header gaskets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, May 16, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have replaced my header gaskets too many times to remember.
    i have been told many theories....put hi temp gasket silicon, let it set, then install.
    someone told me to soak the gaskets in water for 15 min then install!?!?!??!
    how do you guys bolt up the gaskets and make them seal for a good while before they blowout??
    thanx for the help.

Knife.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I TOO have been fighting this battle for years!!
    I have tried just about all the gaskets out there!
    I currently have the copper type and they leaked right off the bat! My next step will be the thicker aluminum dead soft type in Summits catalog, any one try these???
    I know the paper w/hightemp rtv will seal the header but they only last about a yr. and over the yrs. I too am sick of doing that job! Good Luck!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

No offense to Burt but I've used the copper gaskets on a 350 and 2 454's with no problems. The headers must be straight. The headers should also be tightened every so often.

Shawn
    87 K5 454 w/Dynomax ceramic headers

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

None taken[​IMG]
    I think my problem is just that my header flanges are warped and so I'm thinking that a thicker gasket may make up for the warping!!?? I even got a new set of bolts to make sure the were getting tight, still leaked right away after reassembling. Now I just drive it with a leak, it's embarising but low fundage makes me do this[​IMG]

5. Shawn

I hate header leaks! These can make a $5000 engine sound terrible. It's almost like a ticking sound like your lifters need adjustment. One time I actually replaced my header gaskets 3 times before I realized it was a lifter!

Speaking of $5k motors, I saw a HP 502 crate on display for $5400 at the dealer the other day. A little too rich for my blood! They also had the ZZ4 350 crate mated to a 6 spd transmission. Was thinking what kind of sleeper I could make with that...

Shawn
    87 K5

future:
    Chevy Metro w/ZZ4 350, 6 spd trans...

6. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I installed the copper gaskets on my 64 Nova and they leaked no matter how much tightening I did. I did some asking and ended up with those thick dead soft aluminum gaskets and have not had any trouble so far. Headers do require some periodic tightening (I tighten mine about every other weekend).
    Curtis
    P.S. My headder flanges were trued before they were ceramic coated, so that isn't why the copper gaskets leaked.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya cool, the dead soft will be my next step!!
    Lifter noise,nope,I can feel the puff,puff,puff on my hand before it gets too hot!! [​IMG]
    Now I just need to squezzzzeee the wife for some duckettes and i'll be on my way[​IMG], hesitation and all......

8. Shawn

Well, hearing all the problems with copper, I guess the soft alum. would be the way to go. I might give those a try next time.

Shawn
    87 K5

9. Shawn

Tbad-
    What does your Nova run in the 1/4? Just curious.

Shawn
    87 K5

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I'm not 100% sure on this one but if I remember right I once read you can use big block gaskets on your flanges and they won't leak a bit. Don't quote me on this one, it may have been the other way around. I'll see if I can find that article in one of my magazines tonight. It may have been in one of those issues of Petersen's 4 wheel and off road where they have all those cheap fixes. I clearly remember it because I was going to try it to see if it would work for mine. If any of you guys find it please let me know too.

L8r,

.Riz.

11. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

The Nova has not been down a track yet. Hopefully I will get it there soon. Heres a pic of the car itself.
    Curtis