Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Jan 26, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

What are the best header gaskets? I used the white FelPro manafold gaskets that blew out in 2 weeks. I went to local autoparts store and they said the best ones were the MrGasket copper header gaskets for $50 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

Is there any special ones I should be looking for?

BTW, 454 and DynoMax coated headers. Thanks for helping!

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have always used the fel pro gaskets. Never had one burn out. I would check your header flanges. They might be warped causing gasket failure. If they are warped, sometimes you can file them straight. You gotta be carful when you tighten them up, sometimes you can bend the flanges by overtightening the bolts.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't skimp.

I went through 2 sets of header and collector gaskets before i bit the bullet and bought some Percy Dead Soft Aluminum gaskets, and no leaks. worked like a charm.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i use doubled ROL high performance gaskets.they are metal and compress to fit tight when you tighten the header bolts.i have them singled for my collector gaskets.had them on for a year with no blowouts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. BlackDog714

OK, so I have copper, aluminum and composite. What are the pluses and minuses of these?

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ive used em all, and never had a problem as long as i check and re-TQ the bolts after a few hours of running, then after a day. the heat on the bolts, and the cooling off make them back out.

8. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

Copper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    only way to go

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have used regular exhaust manifold gaskets with good success. They are really cheap too

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stock Manifold gaskets work just aswell as the copper ones and aren't nearly the cost of cheap paper header gaskets Of course if your Headers suck no Gasket is gonna seal them up but I heard dynomax is pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

use the black ones by mr gasket, make sure you re tighten the bolts several times after heating and cooling, gaskets have moisture in them and shrink up so its important to check the tightness a few times after putting new ones on, don't use silicone either, if you have to sometimes I glue two together and that works well /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. BlackDog714

Yeah, I just saw the MrGasket black gaskets too. The guy doing the work said to get the Victor gaskets or copper gaskets.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I hate this, I just want them to be quiet!

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have had the best luck out of the some that I got at Autozone, they are also black and IIRC they are called Ultra Seal. They may be made by Mr.Gasket, but I can't say for sure.

14. BlackDog714

You know what REALLY pisses me off? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I followed the instructions for the install to the T. No where did it say you need to heat cycle them and re-torque. This may be common knowledge and I may be a moron for not knowing that is necessary, but damn it shouldnt that be on the damned instructions?????

15. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

yeh those are the ones, I used to have a 64 c10, I bought all kinds of gaskets, turns out the $15.00 ones from autozone work the best /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

put new ones on, sometimes the hard way is the best way to learn, I didn't know about re tightening until I was told by someone myself, believe me I went threw a sh!t load of gaskets and those black ones are the best for sure /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had good luck with the PErcys ALum. ones in mine. GOing on 3 years and I haven't touched them. *knock on wood*

18. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

pricey but I heard those work well too /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif