Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header help....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

since i'm about to do motor mounts (and they are trashed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and a trans mount, i've decided to go for my new exhaust too.. hella easier to do em both at once...

anyways, i'm header shopping.... i want something pretty highend and durable. figuring in the 400 to 600 range. thick flanges and a killer finish... i was even thinking of stainless, but from what i saw that might be outta my range a bit.

i had originally just figured on Thorleys, but now i'm also considering some ceramic Hooker super comps.. will the ceramic hold up??? they have em with A.I.R too, which i wanna keep. i like the idea of a full length, i'd like as much bottom end as possible and the tri-y's aren't quite as good from what i read.

not concerned with the ground clearance of a full length or even a little tweaking at the shackle bolt, but i'm wondering if the Thorley's are a neater install and farther away from the starter?

also, when looking up app's for the tri-y's i saw they have 2 different apps, one stock height and one 4 to 6" lift? thats a prob maybe cuz i wont be ready for axles and lift till next summer... i wonder what the dif is... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

btw, i'm planning on 2 1/2" duals with a crossover, some high flow cats and 50's probably....

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hooker Headers are all I buy....I put PN 2453 on my Burb and they fit sweet.

I would buy a black set, and if they fit and everything is fine, send them out to be coated. Keep the old exhaust manifolds around in case you rebuild that motor.

Don't even screw with the supplied gaskets, and get a good set from the get go. Otherwise you will be replacing them soon anyways....

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To my understanding, the Thorley Tri-Y's are some of the best Headers you can get for the full size Chevy trucks. Summit carries them.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner