Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header install today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Put headers on today, damn things hit my clutch. The Z-bar rubs on the number 7 primary tube. Anyone had this problem? I used a porta power between the trans and the collector and bent the whole header towards the frame. This helped but it still hangs up. I think I can dimple the header and aleviate it. Hadn't heard of this problem before, the other header was too close to the driveshaft(heard of that one before) so I used the porta power there too and its good now.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sound's like a typical header install. There is alway's, something in the way, or the header's alway's hit,rub,or just plain don't fit!

I like em though. On the 454 header install, the collector's would have hit the front driveshaft, so I cut 6" off of the entire height of the four tube's, on the pass. side, so it wouild clear both the starter, and the driveline.

p.s. how many wounded knuckle's do you have? Or bleeding wound's? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well seeing as I changed the intake, carb, removed the air pump, removed all the vaccum stuff, and put on the headers in the past 2 days, I have many cuts, scrapes, and burns all over my hands. I was actually enjoying it all till tonight when I finally drove it. Carb is so horrible it barely runs. Had to have my friend push me a lot with my 2500(was following me) and scratched the crap out of my bumper and destroyed my confederate flag license plate on that one. Oh well. Oh yeah ran out of gas just up the road from my house right in front of this shop full of guys with nice trucks and cars. Talk about embarassing. I really didn't need this, it was a real blow to have the carb be major junk after all that. Hopefully thats all it is and as soon as I'm no longer broke I will get a new one and hopefully it runs. Then i get to replace the axles, brakes, brake booster, suspension and who knows what else. Never ending and in the end something else will break. I'm not sure this is the sport for someone like me.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Well I've never ran out of fuel, but evey damn time I put header's on any vehicle, I can count on wound's, bleeding, burn's [which are cauterized] and the usual fitting problem's. All for a little more power, and a little more noise. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It moves like a bat out of hell in creeper and first gear but dies in third. I think the intake and headers really woke it up. Just need a carb to match. My knuckles hurt the worst cause I put a few dents in the blazers fender. I have a bit much of a temper and it was on high alert tonight.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sound's like You'll have to fatten the carb up a bit, [to get rid of the bog's] and take Your aggression out by throwing stuff at the shop/garage wall's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

garage is full of stuff to break of my dad's. can't even see a wall. besides if it doesn't hurt it doesn't take my agression away. I need a punching bag is what i need. I will kill that thing.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I put mine on about 2 months ago, damn header bolts kept loosening up and leaking...so I /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif made these to stop the bolts from loosening up....

[​IMG]

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those are great til you try to remove them. Throw that trash away and tighten your bolts once in a while, or buy locking header bolts.

I have Dynomax headers and have no clutch clearance problems. My lower rod is a little longer than stock, too!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have Dynomaxes but they are for a camaro I believe. Got them for free so I wasn't complaining. My adjuster rod is what rubs and I fabbed one that is longer than stock for more adjustment.

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

those are locking header bolts, I've had to remove them to make a new alt. bracket and they came right out, made from SS... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have dyna max headers also,and the fit easy .any time you have to cut or bend them, they must be the wrong ones.especially 4 inches off on side. thats got to make it run funky. ever see hot rods with header tubes running all over hells half acre in the engine compartment?, so each cylinder flows the same. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

like I said mine were for a camaro but they are working just fine as far as I can tell. Have to dimple the one tube for my clutch then we will be golden. Clutch still works but if I try and shift fast it binds on teh header and that idea scares me, that and I like going fast and I had a few messed up shifts last night thanks to that. Sounded like I didn't know how to drive stick when I dropped the clutch and hit the gas but the clutch didn't drop, chirp.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    those are locking header bolts, I've had to remove them to make a new alt. bracket and they came right out, made from SS... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...I didn't realize that they were SS. I still prefer 6 point bolts, but if they're stainless at least rust isn't an issue.

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

yep, I made them from SS and if you look you can see the split on the bottom...when you screw in the set screw it flares the end out to hold the bolt in place... I made these from some ARP SS bolts that had the 12 point head, the 12 points give you more places to grab it on...and the 6 point bolts could be made easer as they are not heat-treated.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif