Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header install, whats needed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CutlassKid85, Mar 13, 2007.

1. CutlassKid85

CutlassKid85 Registered Member

Goning to put a new set of Dynomax headers on my 77 K5's 350. Any extra parts needed. I know on my RamCharger I had to replace the starter with a mini-starter, is that needed here? any thing else I need to know?

What Header Gaskets would you'll recommend?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

first thing you need to do is send your dynomax headers back and get some Heddman's. I ran 2 different sets of dynomax headers and both set hit the shackles.

read this.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198998&highlight=header+paint

the search function is easy to use and very helpful. you paid for it.

3. CutlassKid85

that might be hard to do, they were a gift from a few months back and that sucks about the fit. I'm running the same headers on my 2wd RamCharger and the fit is just right.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well then my recommendations are as follows.

run copper gaskets on the heads with locking bolts. once you have them installed run the engine to get it warm and retorque the bolts.

cut the collector flanges off the back and weld on a reducer. this will keep the shackle from hitting.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I had a pair of $90 summit headers on my K5 and I had to grind down the excess bolt sticking out of the lower shackle. It rubbed a tiny bit but self clearanced.

I bought the soft aluminum collector gaskets which worked good with no leaks. The paper gaskets went bad after 1 wheeling trip.

I bought the header dual exhaust kit from summit racing and had to take it to a muffler shop to get it to fit right.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Probly a power steering bracket for headers. Ive used on on my 81 K5 and 73 K20. You can use the stock gaskets to wipe your @ss then buy some decent gaskets that will actually seal. Ive used soft metal insert gaskets, copper and the really thick Mr. Gasket gaskets from Autozone, PepBoys, Kragen all with success. Just keep checking those bolts. Mine constantlly loosen up. Maybe its the aluminum heads?? :confused:

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I'm using Stage 8 bolts with no problems. Torqued them cold and installed the locks, done.

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

x2 or 3 on the good gaskets. Either aluminum or copper, I've had good luck with both types.

9. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

My mechanic STRONGLY reccomended copper gaskets when buying headers, it is an extra 20 bucks but money well spent

10. CutlassKid85

I'm gonna need to find that p/s bracket.

Where did you get yours at? I'm having no luck on ebay.

11. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had to modify my ac bracket, it may be the same as the PS bracket but i just lopped off a piece of it. i dont have a picture but somebody may. definatley mr gasket copper gaskets, theyre like a dark grey and about 20 bucks. i have one side on my sbc a mr gasket one and one side a paper one, the first paper one went a few weeks after i got the gaskets about a year ago and yesterday the other one went cause my headerbolts came kinda loose.

12. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i just modified my ac/PS bracket too. just took the sawzall to it!:hack: it works great now. other than that i just used all the hardware that came with the headers, (didnt want to buy the good stuff just yet) ill replace the gaskets when they need it. i bought the $100 flowtech's from autozone. they clear just right and seem to work good to me.

13. CutlassKid85

My truck is a non-AC truck, no vents, no compressor. I found a bracket on ebay but its a bit pricey

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I use stock style exhaust manifold gaskets with headers and never have any problems. If the lower bolt on your shackles may hit, an easy fix is to remove the bolt and turn it around the head of the bolt is near the collector.

I always have the collectors cut off of my headers and weld the pipe directly to the header. The exhaust is fully welded all the way to the rear of the truck. No leaks EVER.

Here are some Dynomax headers that were on my '79 K20, and are currently on my '72 C10.

[​IMG]

15. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used to ONLY uses the felpro blue header gaskets. Worked great even reused them a time or 2. Lately I have only been using a finger of red rtv. Just wipe it on right before bolting up the header. You still need to keep them tight but on my truck 10K with no problems and on the race car a hard 500 miles. The trucks bolts did come loose but retightened and good to go.

16. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Will the copper Mr.gasket work on my stock exhaust manifolds? Im going to be changing my gaskets on them this weekend. Do I need to get a certain model for them to fit right?

17. CutlassKid85

cool, I'll try that with mine

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And a video clip just because I have a new camera to play with...

clicky the pic

(btw... it was a cold day and that is steam from my pipes, not smoke ;) )

[​IMG]

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about between the head and manifold? I don't use any gaskets there. Just be sure the heads and manifolds are clean and bolt them together.

20. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

you dont use ANY gaskets???