Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header installation on a '88 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblzr76, Jul 12, 2002.

1. trailblzr76

trailblzr76 Newbie

Header installation on a \'88 K5

Hey all,

I was wondering if there were any known problems with putting headers on a '88 K5. My main concern is that it will bother the computer if I take away the catalytic converter and install dual flowmasters. Any ideas??

I currently have the stock exhaust installed.

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: Header installation on a \'88 K5

far as i know, none. you may want to tap in your o2 sensor back in your exhaust so your service engine soon lite isnt coming on, plus this may cause you to run ritch or to lean. other than that i think you have no conerns. my neighbor ripped off all his air cleaner crap and put on a chromey one and then put on SIDE PIPES ! (91' blazer) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif an boy does it look smooth ! he reports no problems.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have Dyno-Max headers and their 2 1/4 dual exhaust into two Flowmaster 40 series. I have no problems with exception to the O2 sensor problem that i'm having which doesn't happen to everyone from what i've read. You will not mess up the computer by doing this. I had to remove the Diff housing bump stop to put mine on. I also had to go to a shorter oil filter after i burned a hole in the one that was on there /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . I have heard to disconect the battery to reset the computer after you do something like this but I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

James

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have headers, no cat, and single 3" pipe. on my 89. NO computer problems.

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

YOU CAN ALWAYS WELD A FITTING FOR AN O2 SENSOR.

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The only time you would have a computer problem is if you have an OBD-II(sp?) computer from the mid nineties trucks, anything pre-94 is safe to mess with the exhaust on /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.
    I run with open headers at times and have no problems on my '87, I did have to weld in a fitting for an 02 sensor but that was it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

any problems with your oil filter?

Later