Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Issues... Anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Aug 8, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

I just put my dynomax non smog headers on and the passanger side flange is about a 1/8 of a inch from touching the front driveshaft! Do i have to loosen motor mounts and put it over? or what? Ohh the sound of a 350 with open headers its the best therapy after spending a couple hours putting them headers on

Project Silver Bullet
    http://coolwebworks.com/blazer/12jul991.htm

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

How close is the header to the frame?? Where the header attatches to the motor, usually there aint that much room between it and the frame on both sides. So, moving it shouldn't be an option, unless there is more room on one side than the other. On mine, there is only like 1/2" if that between the headers and the frame. I might have to double check, but I think that's about right.
    Boss
    Boss

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I have the same problem with Dynomax ceramic headers. Rubs on the front shaft and both shackles when I go off-road. The zerk on the front shaft already busted off and one of my shackle bolts is starting to poke a hole in the driver side headers. My next set will be some shorty's.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Flo-techs don't come near my front driveshaft, but I had to heat them up and bend them away from my front shackle. Now they don't touch anywhere but there sure is'nt any extra room anywhere! I'll go to shorty's next time as well!

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have the same headers as you and mine is pretty close to the driveshaft too. I just ground a little (not too much) off the ring (forget what its called) with the 3 holes (bolts to the colector) and I haven't had any problems off-road.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You have the cheap header syndrome. I've had it before. My friends have had it before. I can't say enough about Thorley Headers. They fit better than anything I've ever seen. Maybe I should take pictures and show them to everyone?

I'm not kidding, they don't come close at all to anything. A few of my friends have them... a 79 1/2 ton with a 400 SBC, my 77 3/4 ton with a 454, an 84 f-250 with 460, etc. All 4x4's. They fit perfectly on all.

I had a set of flowtech headers a few years back on another 77 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 (350cid) and they fit fine. Two people I know have the cheaper dynomax headers and they BOTH rub the front DS, and there isn't enough material to grind off of the collector flanges.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Biggray, Its called the Flange. LOL.

8. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Put dynomax headers on my new 350 (85' no lift) and it doesnt touch, but its real close to it. Just last week, where the header connects to the regular pipe, 2 of 3 bolts rattled off completly. I noticed the headers getting louder but I didnt know to look down there. Anyway, a new gasket and a few bolts got her real quite again. Guess you just need to check those as often as the header bolts, but still I never heard any rattling of it against the DS... oh yeah, is it just me or do these things get very very very very hot???

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com