Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header/Manifold Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Dec 17, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was putting a new exhaust on and I was taking off the old pipes from the manifolds and sheared off 3 studs in the process, so I pull the manifolds and heated them up and tried using and easy-out and the easy-out broke off and I can try to drill it out but its gonna be hard cause it broke in a very jagged pattern. Now, I'm thinkin headers but my question is can you get headers that will bolt up to the stock exhaust pipe(without cutting/modifying them) and will the air pump and the power steering/A/C brackets bolt up to the headers also?? THanks for your input, I need the truck running ASAP.

[​IMG]

2. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Re: <<<<<<<Urgent Header/Manifold Question>>>>>>>

Yes you can get headers that will work with all of your accessories but I don't think there are any that don't require at least some mods to the exhaust -- at least not for our trucks. If they do exist, I'd check the Edelbrock line, Gibson or maybe Dynomax. A friend put Edelbrock headers on an 89 Trans AM and I was quite impressed with the quality and fit. I don't think he had to do much (if anything) to the exhaust. Give Truck Performance Products, 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers, Summit Racing, or Jeg's a call. Their tech support will be able to find the best header for your needs.

4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers 800-421-1050 www.4wheelparts.com/
    Summit Racing 1-800-230-3030 www.summitracing.com
    TruckPerformance.com 800-719-8100 www.truckperformance.com
    Jeg's 800-345-4545 www.jegs.com

3. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: <<<<<<<Urgent Header/Manifold Question>>>>>>>

Hedman Headers make headers that bolt up to your stock pipes. They are part #69480 and run about $285. They include a Y-pipe to bolt up to your factory converter. You can get them with A.I.R. fittings and an O2 sensor fitting if you need them- but may cost more.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Even if you can't find them to bolt up exactly, the cost for a short connector would be very minimal.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got the Edlebrock headers (they call it their Tubular Exhaust System) on my S-10. They fit like a charm and bolted directly to the catalytic converter. I didn't have to get any custom exhaust work done. Just bolted 'em on!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. Hobbes68

Harry,

What kind of difference did you notice after you put on the headers? Did you put in a high flow cat also?

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Looks like I'm going with manifolds, because I was counting on getting headers locally but everyone I went to has to order them[​IMG], and I need the truck up and running by Thursday. Thanks for the replies

[​IMG]

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hobbes68, I didn't notice much of any difference. I installed the TES, the Edelbrock performer intake and their custom chip and a cat-back exhaust from TFX. It feels more responsive but 0-60 remained unchanged. [​IMG] But it is only a 4.3L V6 in a 4500 lb. truck.

If you want a change that you can feel, you'll get the most bang for your buck from the cam and heads. When I went from the stock '87 'vette 350 to the 383 with the 'vette heads and intake ported and a bigger cam, it was like night and day. Shazzam! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

9. Hobbes68

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about putting on headers and a high flow cat. I already have a Gibson cat-back exhaust. I can't help thinking the stock cat and manifolds are restricting flow, but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that the stock cat flows quite well, almost on par with the high flow aftermarket products.