Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just installed a set of thorley headers in my K5. they sound good at idle,nice and quiet just like a stock manifold.but when im accelerating it sounds kind of "tinny". not loud like a blown collector gasket, just a noticeable tin sound. ive checked all the bolts and all is tight. do headers just sound like this?im thinking maybe its just causs metal pipes arent as thick as cast manifolds and cannot suppress noise as well. my only experience with headers have been on extremely loud exhaust systems where the mufflers would drown out anything like this.

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Thats just the noise headers make, not as many restrictions to slow down the exhaust. Wrap them in heat tape if it really annoys you and make sure they arent rubbing against anything.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Noticed the same thing with my Thorleys also. I think the same thing you do, it is because the stock manifolds are so much thicker that the noise isn't there.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thats what i figured. i guess now that i know its supposed to sound like that i'll get used to it. i dont wanna use heat wrap causs i've heard it will causs them to rust out.
    thanks for the replys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif