Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a set for my'88. They have to pass emission testing (visual) and have A.I.R. & O2 sensor. I've got my eye on Edelbrock's tubular headers complete with a high flow "Y" pipe and a nice 3" collector. Is anybody running these? If so, how much of a pain are they to install? Another option is a set of shorties that bolt onto the existing system. I would really like to get rid of that restrictive factory "Y" pipe, but the Edelbrock set is a bit pricy, not to mention that I will have to make a 35 mile trip to the closest decent muffler shop to have them tied into the existing system. The existing system consists of a 3" in & out cat 3" pipe to a turob muffler with twin 2 1/4" outlets and the tail pipes exit at the rear bumper and are protected by the trailer hitch. This will really let the engine breathe, espically since I'm plannning on replacing the stock engine with a GM high torque 383 (over 400 lb torque from 1800 RPM on up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). But right now I'm on a budget. If nobody is running this setup, how abouts recomending a good set of shorties. TIA

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am running the Edl TES. I like it. Its a good quality system. Had it on since 1999 with no problems or leaks. Still running all the orginal gaskets.
    It was an easy install and it bolted right up to the stock 3" exhaust system with no mods or trip to the muffler shop.
    After a few years on the rocks and stuff there aint much left of the stock system now. It used to go all the way out the back. Now all there is left is the headers/TES, flomaster 70 series muff and a turn down. But the Edl system has taken the abuse and held up well.The headers aren't even rusty.

I like having the single pipe because a dual system is just one more thing under the truck to tear up. As far as power I noticed a nice power gain after installing the system. I had a lot more power for towing up hills, better acceleration ect.
    I dont know of anyone who sells smog legal shorty headers for 87-92 K5s Except Edelbrock and Doug Thorley. Both are priced around the same.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I also am running the TES headers on mine. The install was easy and everything fit, but I hated the y-pipe because it hung down so far, we cut it and had a piece put in to bring it up closer to the cross-member. I still didn't like it but left it until I relocated the rear shocks. The original intent was to do what you see below, relocate the shocks, and then extend it on out the rear, but we like this and have just left as is.
    [​IMG]

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also am running the TES headers on mine. The install was easy and everything fit, but I hated the y-pipe because it hung down so far, we cut it and had a piece put in to bring it up closer to the cross-member. I still didn't like it but left it until I relocated the rear shocks. The original intent was to do what you see below, relocate the shocks, and then extend it on out the rear, but we like this and have just left as is.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally off topic but is that a bent drag link I see there? I thought that was a nono for crossover steering. Some guy has a site full of that stuff and he blasts it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Unless you replace the front crossmember you have to go bent link. I know Crazy Steering bashes them, though I have no idea why, but its the way it has to be. I'm going bent drag link, and I know Yunit has one or at least used to. I think the thing to bash is when the bend drops down 30". Heck I sent in the first truck on the Scary Steering page, names Alan.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Yes it is.

[​IMG]

Straight from ORD. I assure you that there are numerous other things in the steering system that will fail long before that off-set causes any problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif