Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Dec 11, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Can't afford Thorleys. So I was wondering what the more popular header is to go with. I must get this done by the end of this week. Not real experienced with headers. Been given the options of Flowtech, Hookers, or Headman. What are the pros and cons of each. Please whoever has gripes or compliments please give me your opinions. So far leaning toward Hooker ceramic coated comp. headers part no np24521-1???
    73 Chevy 350 4x4 with Th350/Np203.
    Took off all original air injection system for CA emissions(no air pump) Truck Has recently become smog exempt!
    Thanks
    James

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i used flowtech's before and i liked them but they were cheap and affordable at the time...they aren't made from the thickest tubing but they worked good...headmans and hooker headers are about the going pipes anymore...unless you need something special...truck headers were about $250....for a set of special made 2+1/2 inch primaries on a 750 horse small block 400 in a '79 long bed with a 4 inch collector,,,,,,$800....damn i miss that truck!!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Are you sure you cannot afford Thorleys??
    Goto there web site http://www.thorleyheaders.com/
    I can't remember witch one I called in So. Calif but they quoted me 320 for the Tri-Ys. The Tri-Y design is what you want!! I don't care who makes it as long as it's a triY.
    From what i've read that style of header is AWSOME for torque!! Spend a little time calling ALL the places listed on there website that is in your area or state!
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I went with the Thorley Tri-Ys, I love them. I use copper gaskets in them, they work great, never had a leak. You just have to remember to check the bolts constantly unless you use some locking fasteners (like the Stage 8 ones), which I recently did. The install can be a bear by yourslef, you really need at least two people to get them in right (with the least amount of cussing and swearing!) I never had mine HPC coated or anything, they still look decent if I clean the mud and crud off once in a while...the flanges are super thick (why they seal so good) and the headers are first quality. I use the Flowmaster 3 chambers, but will soon go to a 2 chamber because I heard one on a friend's K5 and it sounds bad!! Anyway, hope this helps...I am sure that other headers will work just fine, but sometimes you have to pay for quality...

5. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

kpanza,
    When you upgraded to Thorley Tri-Ys did you scap the smog pump and other emissions stuff. I've got an 88 Blazer and thought about the tri-ys, unsure if I want to remove the pump incase someday I may need to pass a sniffer test. Were you able to use the stock crossover pipe or did you have it converted to true duals? Thanks - J

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have flowtechsand after trial and error finally used copper gasketsfor them........my 2 cents, use the copper gaskets no matter what header you choose......js

7. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys,
    One question though. Does anyone make the TRI Y's besides Thorley. Emailed Hookers' Tech dept.. They do not make that design. Read up on the TRI Y. This definately sounds like what I want. Just don't want to pay 600 bones if I don't have too.
    Gracias
    James

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have the Flowtech Afterburners. They have the low-end torque of a tri-y and the high-end torque of normal headers. I got the ceramic coated ones. I really like them and highly recommend them. Installation was perfect and easy. No leaks at all and still using the gaskets (some sort of cardboard) that came with them. Check out http://www.flowtech.com

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]