Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Header recommendation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Aug 12, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I ordered my 350ci gm goodwrench motor. The stock replacement for my 85 blazer. Now I need headers and accessories. My question is on a recommendation for headers. Anybody have headers that don't get in the way with spark plugs? Is there a prefered set of headers for these trucks? Anybody use those block hugger headers? I searched the site but go waayyy too much information.

Cost is always an issue however, I will definitely pay more for a quality set of headers.

Thanks
    Chris

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your time with blockhuggers.

Depending on what you want to spend, I would say Thorleys, or Hookers....

You should be able to find lots of stuff in here about the Doug Thorleys, even some pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have hooker competition series headers. The plug clearance and frame clearance on my 79 is great but the header bolts are hard to get at and they tend to leak at the heads pretty bad. I never met a dis-satisfied Doug Thorley Tri-Y header owner!

5. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I've had the Hooker headers on my Goodwrench engine for 19 months and no problems. Access to plugs is good and no leaks from the heads.

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Thorley's are expensive, from my searching though seems everyone likes them.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If you don't mind pulling your headers out and replacing them every other year or so, AutoZone sells a lifetime warranty set of headers for like 80 bucks. But you WILL end up replacing them at least every other year...

8. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I put Hooker Super Comps on my truck and love them. I used Stage 8 locking header bolts and haven't had an issue with leaks.

I wanted a single exhaust setup, so I had the exhaust shop build a Y-pipe that goes under the oil pan over to the passenger's side. This way, there's no clearance issues with the front driveshaft, and it's tucked up real high.

You can check out pics Here

Thomas.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Doug Throleys, I love the low end they produce... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Do the Thorley's or Hooker's have issues with front driveshaft clearance? I ment to ask that also.

Chris

11. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Depends on the setup you go with. True duals, custom Y-pipe, premade Y-pipe?

I had a custom Y-pipe created and there's no chance of any front driveshaft clearance issues, now or in the future (if I go taller).

Thomas.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I have Hooker Competition headers that I bought a year and a half ago (March 2002). It required the differential case bump stop to be removed and the AC bracket to be modified. The oil pressure switch needed to have a 45° put on it.

Quality header and collector gaskets are important. I prefer the graphite header gaskets and copper aluminum gaskets. I use Hooker's header bolts. They are easy enough to get to with a 7/16" crow's foot.

I also bought Hooker's plumbing kit which included 2 1/4" prebent pipe. I then bought my own mufflers. I had a complete exhaust system for under $400.

I wouldn't buy the plumbing kit again though.

13. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Hedman headers with copper gaskets on the flange and collector. Sound nice, work great and with the copper gaskets you never have to worry about blowing out the gaskets. Did I mention the were only like $200 from summit racing? Might be cheaper now maybe I bought them a while ago. Hooker headers are nice but cost some major $$$.

14. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have Thorley's, and I've not really had any trouble, except for a lot of cussing when it's time to change plugs. It's not really bad, but some you need to lay on your head and get with an open end wrench instead of socket.

I think as headers go, Thorley's are probably best, especially for trucks, but when they wear out, I'm going back to a regular manifold.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going back to a regular manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you have any idea how much power you'd lose, especially if you have cam and good heads?

16. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I guess the feeling is either Thorley or Hedman. And neither of these has interference with the front driveshaft? I guess the sparg plug issue isn't that bad. Just bought a set of racheting box ends.
    I don't understand why any company would make a set of headers which had a problem with driveshaft interference. That seem like a lack of quality to me.

17. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I have Edlebrock on my 89 with Gibson Cat back system. I have had the Gibson for almost 10 years, and the headers for almost 5 years. The combo works really well. Sounds good and fit with almost no problems.

18. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I've got Dynomax ceramic coated headers. $225 (this includes shipping) to my door from Summit. Had them on for over a year and they look brand new. Only mod needed was the A/C bracket. I had to fab up a spacer.

19. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but when they wear out, I'm going back to a regular manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]
    From what I've seen that could be a while. My Dad has a set of Thorleys in his '84 since the late 80's and they are still performing well.