Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header suggestions for an 88' 350 tbi K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Oct 28, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

header suggestions for an 88\' 350 tbi K5?

My blazer is an 88' K5 which means the headers need to have holes for the oxygen sensor and AIR lines. I'm leaning toward the eddelbrock TES headers but they are quite pricy. I don't particularly care what the finish is although I'd prefer the stainless look. Any suggestions from experience?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: header suggestions for an 88\' 350 tbi K5?

Haven't used these personally, but Doug Thorley tri-y's and then send them to HPC or Jet Hott and get them coated. If I ever get around to putting a set on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifthis is what is going on mine. They have nice thick flanges (no exhaust leaks) and the tri-y design gives you more low end torque /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just my .02 worth

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have the Thorley Tri-Ys on my 87 (350 TBI), and they are very nice. Construction is very good and they have been on there for about 6 years with no problems. As with any headers, you need to check the bolts every so often or get the Stage 8 locking fasteners, otherwise you'll get leaks. I get the copper gaskets now, so even if they do loosen up and leak a bit, I just crank it back down and they seal back up. I didn't get mine coated, and they still look ok...but the coating would be worth the $$ in my opinion...

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you get the nickel coating from thorley my 4wd shop told me to do this. Before you fire them or install them for the first time, rub some motor oil inside them, it will keep the nickel/chrome ookin coating from bluing over time. Also wipe down the headers with rubbing alcohl after you install them to get oils from your hands off of them and they wont yellow. Pretty easy, and mine havent turned. Pics (crappy because im not a photographer) below.

5. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

Most important will be the thickness of the flange. The thicker the better... less chance of exhaust leak. If you're spending the money, then get them right the first time. Nickel or Ceramic will save you from rusted through headers that need to be replaced down the road.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As has been mentioned, make sure you get some with thick flanges. From what I've seen, "good" headers (meaning thick flanges and tubing) are going to run about $300, while the "cheapies" are going to run just over $100.

You can get Stainless, but they run around $600 or so, and a friend of mine that has dealt with numerous sets of them, say that they tend to crack more than they should, which makes sense, stainless is "brittle".

Two more points, plain steel headers should be run or somehow cleaned off before coating, the coating steel mills use on the metal may not be completely gone when you get them, and if the coating is applied over that, it will come off. Second, test fit the headers first, because if you have to dimple the header tubes, and they've already been coated, if ceramic you will undoubtedly remove the coating, and if nickel coated, you MIGHT end up removing some of the coating.

7. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

I used DYNO-MAX that came with the ceramic coating on them. They were less than $300 (No AIR fittings). They seem to be well made and I think they are made for your app. I got mine from Four Wheel Parts. I have used the Edelbrock set-up on a 2wd 89 truck. It worked well but is designed to utilize 1 pipe. I ran my Dyno-Max headers into a dual inlet single outlet FlowMaster and it worked great.