Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

header to leaf spring bolt interference

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmud77, Nov 15, 2003.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

anybody ever run across this? The pass. side header is rubbing up against the rear leaf spring bolt on the front leaf spring. Any ideas how to fix? Bend header? Manifolds?

Any help would be great.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

take the bolt out, put it in the other way so that there is just the head of the bolt on the inside..or trim the bolt..

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

all i have is the nut on that side. I was thinking carrage bolt.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so none of the bolt sticks past the end of the nut?

5. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i ran into the same problem with my 1971 frame with my 454 headers i used 73-87 headers they hit on both sides just past where the 4 tubes meet the collector worse on the pass sidei ground the end of the bolt flush with the nut then marked where the bolts interfered took the headers off and made a small dimple with a ball peen i supported the header with a block of wood on the bottom side i haqve ceramic coated headers and the hammer did not even chip the coating!

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I just enjoyed the pinging sound till the bolt put a dent in the header..but these were cheap headers so no worries /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    all i have is the nut on that side. I was thinking carrage bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't use a carriage bolt. Like the others have suggested. Dimple or bend the header.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Jim... what you are describing is fairly common... I ran into it with my doug thorleys. What Steve at ORD suggested (and seems to work fine) is that I thread my shackle and run the bolt up to specs with locktite (and I used a star washer as well). I used the H.D. extended shackles and a larger bolt, drilled for grease fittings... obvioulsy the stock shacle probably isnt thick enough to safely do this. To date I havent had and loosening or problems with this setup. I have about 1/2 inch clearance now at full torque on the motor and the headers dont touch at all... didnt feel like dimpling them....
    hope this helps
    cam

9. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I have Edlebrock headers on my 89. It is real close. You may have to pursuade your headers just a little.

10. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. Only the passenger side made contact. I put some 2" extended shackes on and now I have clearance. And an extra 1" of lift too.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    take the bolt out, put it in the other way so that there is just the head of the bolt on the inside..or trim the bolt..

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Exactly what I did.

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had the same problem, then I got headers specifically for a 4x4 chevy. The collector is now 3-4 inches higher than before.

13. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

great it sounds like i should just wait and get my ord front shackles and then tap them or get a new set of headers that are made for a 4x4 and see if they are the same as mine. I bought them used and i dont know for sure if they are for a 4x4 truck or 2x4 truck. Thanks again

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine were made for a 4x4, but I still had to turn the bolt around to make them clear.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My Hedmans made for my truck also interfered on the passenger side. Flipped the bolt around, same problem.

Ended up taking a ratcheting tie down, hooking it up to a tree on the drivers side of the truck, and ratcheting it until the header bent enough to clear.

Needs a little bit more tweaking because of the metal's "memory", but I figure once I get it warm and attempt again, it should take a set where I want it to.

16. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

same problem but it only hit the collector flange, notched the collector flange so the bolt can pass through it as it flexes, maybe a 1/4" deep
    [​IMG]
    Thats before the lift and ORD shackles, with the lift and ORD's they still hit not as bad so I notched the hanger

17. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Maybe i will try and bend the header a little and if that doesnt work i will cut a notch in the collector flange.

Thanks again,