Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers and 4 speed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Mar 16, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone who has a 67-72 truck (specifically 2wd 4 speed) with full length normal headers-
    does any part of the header hit any of the clutch Z bar linkage related parts ? in the way ? anything that some dinging of header tube(s) cant fix ?

thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ran Hedmens. The Zbar was very simple to move. All you do is remove the Zbar ball that mounts to the frame and drill a hole to the right about 1". Drill a hole in the factory plate that is rivited to the frame rail so the Zbar's ball post can go thru the hole then screw on the nust and you now have the clearence needed without hammering the headers. I'll see if I have a pic.....
    [​IMG]
    Do you see the L on the factory bracket..just to the right you can see the nut for the new location.
    I am putting in Hydro clutch now so all this stuff is being ripped out of my rig /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Randy, as you know, I have a '68 2wd 4 speed. I don't recall having any problems with the headers and/or linkage when doing the engine swap. I'm pretty sure they're full length headers. Would you like me to snap some pics tomorrow?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey wow i just realized yours is C20 too, lol, i thoguht it was C10 for some reason, cool, i guess we are going to have matching trucks cuz mine is light grene also, isnt that what yours is/was ? 503 code?

pretty interesting that the Z bar can be relocated that far without any mor emodifications having to be made?

neato.
    hmm..

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You got a '68 C20?? That's awesome! Yeah, mine was originally light green. Not sure on the code #, but it was really light color, kind of a teal green. Let's hear more about the new truck.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep yep sounds like yours was 503 light green too, very common really light green used from '64-'69 only.
    ill have to look in red book again i forgot how many years it was used 503 was called light green, it is my favorite factory 67 68 green color. same green as my very first 68 pickup.

the one i am getting is a 4 speed one also, unknown rear i dont know if its leaf or coil rear or if its eaton or dana 60, i like trailing arms better but then if its leaf then i can put a 14 bolt 3.73 under it, so hmm,, it gonna be a work truck its beat and rusty, but oh well,

and i just tossed a bunch of parts i need to get sbc into it like a cast iron starter nose and new engine mounts and Z bar pivot ball engine block bracket, so now i have to find all that and also a good pressure plate assembly for 11" clutch i believe, ill have to measure the clutch disc again that i have,. it last had a 305 in it in which the block of is in the back i hope engine mounts and pivot ball bracket are on it!
    if not then im just gonna get an auto X member and column and put an 80's th400 shorty or 700r4 or th350 9" tail under it and have a driveshaft shortened and convert it to one piece all at the same time

do you have your SPID label in the glovebox still ?

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Haha, you piqued my interest so i went out there in the dark freaking yard and looked to see if it was still there. Unbelieveably, it is. Here are the best pics I could get of it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like to me:

CDEL?: CE2C934
    503AA: LIGHT GREEN /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    060AF: AUXILIARY SPRINGS EC
    PL80A: SM WHEEL CARRIER
    F60RA: HD FRONT SPRING
    G?0CA: HD REAR SPRING
    N30CA: 327 CU IN V8 ENG

46???A: GREEN VINYL INTERIOR
    4T6??A: HEAVY DUTY TAILGATE?
    4K????: OILBATH ??? CLEANER?
    4P???A: ??CNT STABILIZER
    4M2??0: 4 SPD TRANSMISSION

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

MODEL?: CE20934
    CE is conventional cab with V-8 engine
    2 is 3/4 ton
    09 is 127" wheelbase
    34 is fleetside bed
    this code will also be written on firewall at top in grease marker
    it is not same as beginning of VIN code

a coupel of your RPO options are unique, i cant explain HD tailgate and sm wheel carrier,
    and the trim color code is from 600-699, each code number 600-up is a different trim combo color/package, yours is a green one of course

what tailgate is on the truck ?

you have any idea what the truck was ever used for, who owned it ?

503 LIGHT GREEN
    60A AUXILIARY SPRINGS EC
    L80 SM WHEEL CARRIER
    F60 HD FRONT SPRING
    G50 HD REAR SPRING
    L30 327 CU IN V8 ENGine, gross HP 240 at 4400rpm net hp 180 at 4000rpm gross torque 330 at 3000rpm net torque 285 at 2400rpm thi sengine includes automatic choke and 12" HD clutch, this engne not available with overdrive transmission(M10)

600 GREEN VINYL INTERIOR
    HEAVY DUTY TAILGATE?
    K48 OILBATH air CLEANER
    F59 front STABILIZER
    M20 4 SPD TRANSMISSION

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Randy, check this post on 67-72 for info on the HD "tailgate", which ended up actually being HD battery. I just was having a hard time deciphering letters last night. I made a couple other moronic guesses, as you can see. Check this post here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=95973

(I'm pretty sure you can view threads even though you're banned /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif )

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

not moronic by any means, just had to guess, hehe

HD battery, yep that would be it, there ya go

yeah i can view site as long as i log out,
    josh can change that though by bannign my IP altogether, im sure he will, especialyl if someone from here who is member over there who heped me get banned form there rats on me to him now,

im sure it will happen,

if i ever find out who all was involved with helping to get my username banned...........

also about the oil bath, i have had a few 67-72 with such, all been 292 engines though, in 67 and 68 c30 duallies, they are the best cleaner you can have, oil attracts dirt great, alot better than the cheap air filter elements they use these days

i just scrapped an oil bath setup off a ford 300 L-6 engine the day i went scrap crazy and cleaned out the bulding last week

they are neat cleaners, you stil have yours ? ever seen one yet ?

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Nope, never seen one. I'm using a cheap STP paper one on the new engine I got from you, and didn't run a filter at all on the old engine /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. What's up with Josh? He seems like a nice guy from what I can tell, but I don't see many of his posts so I don't know. Did he just ban you out of the blue? I know he's really anal about any type of possibly offensive material and seems to delete a lot of threads, so I guess I'm not all that surprised that he's happy on the ban key. On a related note, the c20 should be up and running come May. Hopefully I can bring it out to your place sometime and let you take it for a spin. It's a really solid truck for its age and location. We bought it for $300 and the guy who had it before had been driving it without any brakes and the clutch linkage was totally unhooked, so he was just driving it without the clutch. All we had to do to make it driveable was hook the clutch back up, so it was a pretty good deal.