Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers and a Y-pipe

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris_T, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My exhaust sounds like it's made up of soup cans right now, time for it to go. I've been thinking Headman headers (69230, I think), but also want to go with a single 3" tailpipe and muffler, making some space under there for a potential future air tank where the second muffler is now. Don't often take it into the high revs. My question is: Roughly where do the collectors line up on the frame? Is there enough room for a Y-pipe that doesn't hit my fron't driveshaft and doesn't hang down too far that it'll be in the dirt offroad? Oh, the truck is lifted 6" so the front driveshaft is at a bit of an angle and the crossmember got moved back almost 2" with the 700R4.

CT

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

It'd be a tight fit. I think that a talented exhaust pipe bender could do it, but it'd still hang down below your crossmember because it'd have to cross under the transmission bellhousing or pan. I don't see how it could be done to get up in front of the flex plate cover without interfering with the front driveshaft.

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I figured as much .. maybe I'll stay with the ram horns