Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers and AC?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nikk, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Hi,
    I have an 85 K20, it has the small AC compressor that mounts on the drivers side. In the near future I'll be
    installing headers, all the header manuf. I looked into say that I dont need any extra brackets for the install with the compressor that I have. Can someone tell me if theres anything extra truly needed for this swap.
    Thanks a lot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

On mine i hadta cut one of the legs off the factory bracket, that was all. It told ya how to in the directions.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What K20 said. It'll come with a spacer for the front header bolt and you'll have to modify your current bracket.

You might have shift linkage problems if you've got an automatic (I do) that can be fixed with patience. The passenger side bump stop for the differential case will probably have to come out.

4. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Thanks guy's Anyone else have problems with the auto trans linkage?

5. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

On my '83, my headers (edelbrock TES) did NOT require modifying the bracket....bolted right on with spacers for both legs of the bracket (kinda tight...but works just fine when tightened down). I had a problem with the truck not being able to manually select 2nd or 1st because the new crossover pipe that came with my headers was bigger than stock, and the end of the shift linkage hit the top of the crossover. Fixed it with a die grinder...the part that interfered with the pipe was excess anyway.

I would strongly recommend the edelbrock headers as they bolt right up with little modification. All i had to do was trim the shift linkage and relocate the oil pressure switch sticking out of my block right above the oil filter. The switch kills the ignition if you lose oil pressure (probably only on cars with computer control, but I'm not sure) and I had to put a 90 degree pipe fitting on it to make it run parallel to the block and avoid the headers. Other than that, everything worked great.....kinda worried about driveshaft clearance if your truck is lifted though. When my suspension is all the way relaxed the driveshaft droops down to within about 1 inch of the crossover....any lift might make them interfere.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I have Hooker Competition headers and the automatic trans shift linkage hits #7's primary tube when in park and reverse.

I forgot about the oil pressure switch (for the choke and aftermarket electric fuel pump in my case). I used a brass 45° on mine to point it out of harm's way. It was within 3/4" before and after the fitting went on I got about 1.5".

My Dad was the one that took care of my AC bracket as I was underneath hanging exhaust tubing but I remember after he got done you couldn't tell he did anything once he painted it. It took him about 10 minutes. I think all that had to be done was one ear be cut off. I don't know, I was arguing with the tubing for two hours.

In my case, the bumpstop on the passenger side that hits on the fin on the differential case had to come out. It was very much in the way.

I'll be pulling the motor out of my truck again sometime in the next 3 or 4 days (spring break starts today at my school), I'll take some pictures if I remember.