Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers and colorado emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dorucol, Jan 15, 2004.

1. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

I am in the process of moving to colorado in the near future,and I wish to know if I need a legal header with or without a heat riser, the people at Thorley state that I should use their headers without the heat riser for max performance. Does Colorado check for heat risers during inspection, or do I need the heat riser for the colder climte?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

A little info on your rig would be nice......year, motor, etc....
    Bill

3. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

Sorry, 85 k5, new crate 350, edelbrock 3701 intake, mono cat, dynomax exhaust

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I would do a search on local Colorado smog laws or call around to some smog shops and see what the equipment requirements are for that year rig. My understanding of smog equipment on newer rigs is if its equipped from the factory with it it has to be there for legal smog check. But each state is different so scheck local laws first. PM Steve Fox or any other native member from Colorado.
    Bill

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you have headers dumping into a single exhaust, with the cat in place, it should pass just fine. Their main concern here is output at idle and at 2500RPM for 60 seconds. Fail either of those and you get to fix your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They also have a device that they attempt to stick into the fuel filler neck. If it fits, you fail. It's a leftover, stupid part of the law, that's from the days that you could actually buy leaded fuel. Folks that knocked out the restrictor have to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Actually, it depends greatly where in Colorado you are moving to. The emissions standards are not state regulated, but county. Therefore, it will matter where you are.

Evidently, from Harry's post, in Colorado Springs it is a pretty simple idle/mid RPM standing test. Here in the Denver metro area, for 82 up vehicles there is not only an idle test and visual inspection, but an IM240 dyno emissions test. However in other areas, there is no emissions requirement whatsoever. I have a friend that lives in Elizabeth that has to take no emissions at all.

Assuming the worst (Denver metro) I would say that if your rig is in good tune and has all the smog equipment it had from the factory you should be fine. With the headers, the main things I would be concerned about would be AIR fittings if originally equipped. Heat riser (easily added, or maybe just run the tube down near the headers from the air cleaner and hope the visual inspector isn't looking that close /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) And maybe EGR provisions if originally equipped.

Another thing to consider is that in the Denver metro area they have just started doing "drive by emissions" where they have sniffer trucks on the side of the road that read you and if you pass, they mail you an emissions certificate. Unfortunately that won't help you much just arriving here as you have to have local plates and address for them to contact you.

All of this is off the top of my head so take a look at this site for more detailed info on the Denver area emissions stuff Denver Emissions

One other thing to consider (again Denver) is that you cannot even take the emissions test on tires larger than 34" (actual measurement) because the dynos they make you run on can't deal with a tire that big. BTW, no exemption if you are fulltime 4WD, as they have all wheel dynos too /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Hope this helps.
    Sean