Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers and H-pipe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84K5cedric, Aug 13, 2002.

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I know short tube headers would maintain the most torque, but what would the damage be if I were to pick up some long tube headers that have 3" collectors and reduce the pipes to 2 1/2" true dual? Would I be better off sticking with the stock manifolds? The headers I may be able to pick up cheap can be seen here. And while we're on the subject, has anyone any suggestions on a non-obtrusive H-pipe? BTW, the motor is a 400sb in stock form (though not stock to the truck).

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

a good muffler shop ( has big greasy guys working at it ) should be able to hook you up with an h pipe that doesnt get in the way, it should give good torque. it also fine tunes the sound to great mellow but hot sound.

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

So, big and greasy or will one or the other do? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Since ur header have 1.5 primary u will have no problem whit low end torque .

i've got a 400 whit all the thing that would kill low end torque(hot macanical cam/stock converter/open plenum intake/800 cfm q-jet/3.73 gear/35-12.5x15 tire/lond tube header whit 2.5 true dual whit dynomax muffler)and it pull hard from the get go!!!

go ahed buy them u love them!!!

Why a h pipe??????

5. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

I had them (small greasy guy) put my h-pipe about 1 1/2 feet behind the t-case angling on top of the driveshaft. I thought it turned out good and sounds good with flowmasters. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif