Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers and High Flow Cat Advice Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a quality set of headers and a high flow cat for my 90 stock K5. Its got the F/I 350 with a flowmaster Force II cat back exhaust turning 32" tires. Besides those two mods, it is completely stock. Truck has 160,000 miles but runs like a top, just looking to get a little more oomph out of it. I am seriously considering thorley headers, I am concerned with emmissions since Mass is real stringent. Any suggestions on good, smog legal headers and cat?
    Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that the Edelbrock TES, and Thorley Tri-Y are real good headers. As for cat, I run dual highflow Catco cats. But I run true dual exhaust. One highflow Catco cat might work for you though. I don't know what they are rated at for flow though.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thorleys should pose no emission problems. As a matter of fact many people by thorleys for just that, very high quality, long life, emissions friendly, good-lookin' HEADERS! Quite pricey might I add.

By oomph! You won't get all that much just by increasing exhaust, you need to increase intake....next if you want more just out of the engine try a cam, heads, etc. You might also start researching a tranny torque convertor lockup(can't think of the technical term at the moment) for your tranny.
    In my experience running a single 3" pipe all the way back from the headers to the tip with a 3" high flow cat and a single flowmaster produced the best low end torque(off the line power), Horse Power, gas mileage balance.
    The torque convertor lockup, chip, thingy madoody /forums/images/icons/smile.gif will give you stout shifts and give it a better feel and a slight increase in pickup off the line.
    Just a few thoughts....