Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers and / or dual exhaust

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by glenn g, Feb 1, 2003.

1. glenn g

glenn g Newbie

I'm trying to get a little more power out of a 1990 Sub with 194000 miles. I have had the 700R4 rebuilt in the last 6 months and am looking at exhaust and/or headers but have been cautioned about headers due to gaskets burning out on them. Any one had any experience with this?
    If you were going to start replacing exhaust what is the best bang for the buck? Headers? Good brands? Single 3" exhaust or dual 2 1/2"? Good brands?
    Other options to look at for some increased power? I think the stock burb when new had only 210 HP /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (350 TBI).

Thanks

glenn g /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well at 194k i'd rebuild the motor for sure. my sub is at 158 and it's gonna go soon. but a good exhaust system is a good investment. headers are great.

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm sitting at 196000 miles right now in my '90 Sub, so I can feel your pain. I'm putting some Tri Y headers. Theypre supposed to be real good for low end torque. I'v talked to a couple of peaple that have used them and they say it was a notable improvement. I'm sticking with the 3" single exhaust too. That way the O2 sensor and the (high flow) Cat can still operate the way they were intended. I don't know how the computer will react if you put a dual exhaust where you had a single.

Here's a website where they're doing performance mods to engines like ours. They're in cars instead of trucks. http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Wimps, 276,000 miles and counting! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I found a complete engine with only 80000 miles on it for $200. That will be going in this year for sure. Then I can build my original into a torque monster. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I found a complete engine with only 80000 miles on it for $200. That will be going in this year for sure. Then I can build my original into a torque monster.

[/ QUOTE ] lucky dog! i want a deal like that to fall into my lap!

my plans are single 3" with a hi-flow cat and a flowmaster 50series and some doug thorley tri-Ys. and while i'm living in phoenix i'm gonna rebuild the engine thats in there right now. cuz my buddy and i will be going to the same school so we can take his ford powerstroke everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If you can cough up the cash, im running Doug Thorley coated headers. Also im running a 2.5" true dual exhaust, dual cats, dual 50 series delta flow flowmasters, turned out infront of the rear wheels. Sounds GOOD and picked up some power.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Don't sweat the mileage. My 93 Stuckarado has 235 miles and does't use oil yet. You've got lot's of life on that 5.7 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

where exactly can i buy doug throley tri-ys i really would like to get some. Thanks Tom.

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Your computer will think nothing of it...all it cares about is the exhaust before the sensor. Most new headers come with O2 sensor bungs welded to the primaries or the collector. As long as that doesn't change, your computer won't react in a bad way.

I'm at 209,000 miles with fresh 358 that's 4,000 miles old