Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers & Clutch linkage?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bub, May 12, 2001.

1. bub

bub Registered Member

I have a '69 with a 350 and 4 speed. How do you make the clutch linkage from the block to the frame work with heddman headers? The linkage rubs on the headers and they also run where the arm to the clutch fork should be. Any ideas or aftermarket linkages?

2. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Great question. I was wondering the same thing, if the headers out in the market are 4spd friendly or not, guess not. Hope you get some input. So I can use it when my time comes for some headers. Good luck.

Lico

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problem when installing my Headmans. The note in Summit Racing Catalog said slight modification may be required. Yea right! I ended up drilling two new holes in the frame to allow the clutch rod to be put in at a little more of an angle to miss the headers. Actually I ground the holes in with a ball grinder. I'm not sure if there is enough room for a drill. Good thing about being military, the hobby shop usually has pretty cool toys. You will also have to bend the upper arm on the clutch rod so it won't hit. I just returned my sisters digital camera or I would send you some pics. Bummer!

Good Luck,
    Travis

4. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I still have a used pair of Headman Headers I'll sell for $25 plus shipping. Includes bolts. Email me if interested.

Travis

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I also had clearance problems with the clutch link between the block and frame. A little oxy/acetalene + BFH = clearance [​IMG]. Almost 2 years and no problems at all.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine went through six different models of Hedmans. None of them fit with his clutch inkage. He finally went with a new set of Hooker Competition headers that clear the clutch linkage. They hang down a little low, though. The upside is that they have nice long tubes that are almost even in length and give a good Helmholtz effect at lower RPM.

7. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I had to joggle the Z-Bar to get the lower push rod to clear the hedder collectors. Also wound up replacing worn parts after 30-odd years of action. Clutch rod, swivel linkage, pushrod, clutch pedal lever, etc. Works ok now.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BluThndr71Jmmy on 05/14/01 01:09 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Steve do you know what model of super comps these are? I am in need of a set to fit my 4spd now and want to keep myself out of trouble.

Chris
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

9. 2quicK5

2quicK5 Registered Member

A set of Dynomax headers will clear the clutch linkage no problem. However, the collector on the passenger side header rubs the spring bolt in my front spring shackle.

John

1972 K5 Blazer: 400 ci, 4 sp, 3" lift, 35" Tires

2000 Trans Am, A4
    11.97@114 mph

10. Steve_Chin

I checked with my friend. He didn't know the model number any more, but the headers were a new part as of this time last year. He said that they are the only ones listed for the '69-'81 Blazer 4x4. There's a note that you need at least 2 inches of lift because one of the tubes on the passenger side snakes out between the frame and the spring (one of the problems in having a true equal length header, but the extra power is worth it). ORD shackles would be a good idea in addition to the lift because they'd get the spring's pivot point even further away from the tube.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, wierd I have Hedmen Headers and Sm465 4spd and I didn't have to modify a thing! They fit just fine.
    I bought them back in 94-95 timeframe so duno the part # but I should have the recipt in my bucket somewere!? I think?
    Thease headers have the smog tubes or air injection tubes welded into them. I run them caped off with a galvanized pipe cap I found at OSH now that my rig is somg exempt.
    I'll try to remember to look see if I have the part # if you want?

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

12. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Thanks Burt i would appreciate that. I looked up both of their sites. Hedman has a bunch listed. I found the hookers Steve was talking about. What sort of lift are you refering to running? A body lift? I am using a 4 inch suspension lift anyway so if thats what you meant I should be in the clear i hope. I just dont want to have to rig or mangle anything up too much ;)
    Chris

Chris

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK, will do! I wrote it on my hand so hopefully that will remind me. I'll try and get some pics of the drivers side too....
    Ya know I started thinking ( yes it does hurt) about it and I did have to modify one thing. The threaded rod that goes from the Z bar to the fork was too long and at the Z bar end it hit the headers so I had to cut of an inch or so from the end of the rod. no big deal realy.....
    stay tuned...
    PS I have a lot of recipts over the yrs so when I said 'bucket' I ment it LOL [​IMG][​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

14. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah i gotcha on the bucket of receipts....I have had two project vehicles going at once plus a boat. I have file folders for each plus the tools. Needless to say I cannot even shut my desk drawers anymore hehe. I dont mind cutting the rod or anything like that. I just don't want MAJOR fab work, know what I mean. I dont thing my welder or sawzall are up to the task anymore ; )
    Chris

Chris

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok I found the Hedmen part #.
    Now keep in mind that this was back in 3/95 and thease are smog leagel headers ( i needed that at the time). The # is
    HDMN 69231 and in 95 I paid 344.99 for them...ouch[​IMG] I wanted smog legal so this was the best I could find at the time. here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    This is the top of the Zbar connection. The brake lines are kinda in the way but you can see how the pedeal lenkage hooks to the Zbar and the rear header pipe is bent forward and down. clears the Zbar just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Ok on this one you can see the bottom of the Zbar connecting to the threaded rod I had to trim 1" off. I didn't want to take more than I needed off so when I need to adjust the throw I still have enough rod left.
    [​IMG]
    This is the other end of the rod that connects to the fork.

Hope this helps.

16. Steve_Chin

Steve, from the pictures you posted, it looks like your clutch countershaft mounting position has been modified to get it away from the #7 header tube. My countershaft runs perfectly transverse to the truck (i.e. perpendicular to the frame and engine), while yours looks to be running at an angle...

Roostr84, Hooker recommends at least a 2" spring lift because one tube runs between the spring and the frame. The ORD shackles help a lot to get the spring even farther away from the tube. One note on those headers is that they will not fit a 2WD, only a 4x4.

17. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm, well I don't know what to say??When I got the K5 in 93(was told I would be the 3rd owner,but you never know?) it had thoes ram horn style exahust manafolds on it and the pipes were all rottin and leaking so it did seam that exsahst system was on there for quite some time, but ya never know a set of headers may have been on my rig early on and that Zbar was moved?? My rig was made late in 72 mabie that has something to do with it??? Duno.........