Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers....fitment opinions needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leadfoot067, Jun 6, 2004.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yes i searched...and read...nothing really covered what i wanna know....which brand tucks up the highest(long tube)...and what brand clears the front spring shackles??? thanks....i dont want shorty headers,nor can i afford to spend 400 on a set of stans headers.....so long tube headers it is i guess.....

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set of full length Hooker Competition headers and they fit nicely. Just make sure you get the right set of headers that are custom fitted for your year. BTW what year is it? I had to remove the bolt on bump stop on the passenger side but they fit pretty well.

3. leadfoot067

73 blazer....small block,with a 4-speed.....so the hookers leave plenty of room for the shackles??

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'll second the hookers, have a set on my 350. Didn't have any cleance issues. They went in with no problems. Might take a little wiggle here and there but thats all. One of the shackles bolts is close, but there is still room with the headers.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i used hedman torqye step hedders on my 73, and they dropped right in real easy!! and i can get to all but the #8 plug with ease, need a wrench for #8 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I've yet to find a set of long tube headers that clear the shackles on a lifted chevy. Especially with 52's...I had to make a 9" shackles for EMOO99's K5, and still had to heat and flatten the collectors (Headman Elites w/ ceramic coating) to clear the actual shackle (not the bolt.) Why don't you want to go with shortys? Do you really think you'll lose that much torque? I can e-mail you pics if you want.

Can anyone post up some header pics at the shackles?

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i have a set of flowtech headers, 90$ at autozone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, no clearance problems, and they slid right in

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have Thorley Try-Y's on my BBC and they fit AWESOME....best $$$ I spent on my BBC during the BBC swap...

Chris

9. leadfoot067

shortys would be fine...the only set ive found are stans...at 450 buks....who else makes shortys for our rigs?

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My Thorley Tri-Y headers cleared just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

$90 at autozone???
    i paid $65 for mine at autozone last fall and this spring (another truck) i heard they raised the price a month ago to $75 (steel prices)

i HAD no clearance problems, till i clocked my tcase, it hangs too low. the drive shaft sits over the collector. im gonna get a nova pass header to solve that though.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Summit Racing has a cheap set of "house brand" shorty headers for $160.

13. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Got mine off of e-bay $40 for the blingin' china chrome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif with collectors and gaskets. Just spend the money you save on good copper or aluminum gaskets. Been running them for a couple of years with no problems but blown paper gaskets.

14. leadfoot067

cool thanks man /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have Dynomax Jet Hot coated headers. Had them for three years, they were $202.

17. kerwinq

kerwinq Registered Member

I put a set of flowtechs on the 4X4 last weekend and they hit the shifter on the driver side and I had to pull the pass side off to take the starter out. I got mine as a demo so am thinking they are not the right ones. Have a set on my 2 wheel drive and had no problem with the fit. Do you remember what the number was that you installed?

Thanks, Kerwin

18. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

dyeager535 - those are some nice headers, they look like they would work well with 52's.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They seem to be fine. The only clearance issue was the stock shackle bolt, but once I got the headers hot, wedging a 2x4 between the header collector and frame allowed them to bend and take a set far enough away to not cause problems.

As was said earlier about the hedman elites, plug access is easy. Mine don't have AIR, (and I don't have AC) but I can get to all of the plugs no problem, and with 90* boots, none of the wires burn.

IIRC summit or Jegs was selling my exact set for about $250.

On a side note, when your headers say don't break your engine in with them on, they aren't kidding. Pretty sure mine won't look that nice after a couple of weeks. The coating "overspray" in the tubes closest to the heads kept only about 3" of the headers from glowing during the "second" break in. Started/broke in engine for 10 minutes or so with manifolds, coil died, decided to swap headers, obviously should have waited a bit longer. Just a word of caution for those going with headers on a new motor.

20. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

damn im glad i stumbled across this post.... Im getting my new 383 this week and was planning on getting the exhaust all hooked up on the old motor so i could have fresh exhaust all the way through with the new motor....

Does it cause any damage to anything that is more then Cosmetic?