Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers for a tbi 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5texan, Jan 1, 2003.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

was wondering if anybody knew of a good set of headers that did not hang far down and did not have any clearence problems with shackle or an sm465. i have heard of people getting custom made headers that went on the outside of the frame. that way it would keep the engine compartment a little cooler and leave room tho change spark plugs. an advive is appreciated.
    thanks
    jared

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Doug Thorely is your choice. I have them on my BBC/465 and they tuck up nice, never hit the shackles or front shaft, clear the frame fine, have easy access to plugs. My old Dynomax headers had all kinds of problems like mentioned above.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would also like to hear about the headers on the outside of the frame. That would be slick. Get away from the shackle on the passenger side that always seems to be so close and away from fuel lines. Let me know where you find these jewels. Pictures please...

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i have hooker super comp's on my tbi 454/465.
    tucked up away from shackel's nicely.
    only problem is number 8 plug is kinda a pain, with ac box there.
    also wraped my starter in a (blanket) and ran a remote solanoid.
    no problem's yet.

dave

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't suppose you have any pics of those headers installed, or perhaps a part # for the headers...?

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Shawn

7. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

Shawn,
    if you have a chance pictures would be great. and about how much did they run you if you dont mind me asking?
    thanks
    jared

8. Shawn

I bought them used from Realsquash. I think I paid $150 for them but can't remember. Not sure what they run new. The nickel was scratched and discolored a little so I painted them. I went out in the dark and got a few pics. My neighbors must think I'm weird... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Here's some pics:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/headers

You will notice the left side (drivers) is away from the shackle with room to spare. My clutch master comes a little close but never hits. I'm not sure how a manual clutch linkage clears them but I haven't heard any problems from others. The right side header is tucked way high and is far from the shaft and shackle. You'll also notice my frame was notched. That was for the old Dynomax headers I use to run. The only thing I don't like on the Thorley's is the 2.5" collector. This is fine for a TBI 454 but I think I need a 3" with my 496 which can flow some air with the current FI/manifold/heads/cam. I might be switching to the Sanderson shorty headers soon. I'm not sure how these will fit thus I didn't mention them. I know Harry is interested in buying my Thorleys when I sell them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

9. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

appreciate the pictures, those look like the way to go for me.
    thanks
    jared