Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers for an`86 with 350.Where to find and cost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rekvehicle, Dec 31, 2003.

1. rekvehicle

rekvehicle Registered Member

I need headers that have the A.I.R. fittings .Or a method to put a fittings on a standard set .TIA,RV

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you have the money you could probably use edelbrock headers. They come with air tubes and fit factory exhaust y-pipes to boot. Then you could get hi flow cat and cat back exhaust fabbed up.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Part # is 6863 and summit sells them for $400.39. That is way expensive, but I looked and it comes with new y-pipe also. Other wise you would have to have someone weld up some tubing going into cheap headers and thread it to accept air parts of factory manifolds.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I did the edelbrock headers on my 86. But they only cost me about 300. I gopt mine from the local speed shop. Great set of headers. includes everything up to your y-pipe.

5. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

I looked high and low for headers for my '86 K5 and Edelbrock is the cheapest that come with a CARB exemption tag.

I am going to take my chances with a set of used long tube headers I scored from another K5 member. They have the AIR injection tubes, but no fitting for the O2 sensor. These headers were ceramic coated years ago. So instead of trying to weld a bung on the coated header collector, I welded the O2 bung in the reducer just before the Y-pipe.

Should work when tested, I don't know why a smog guy would stress because all the emissions crap is intact. I guess I will see.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Edelbrock is the cheapest

[/ QUOTE ] Remember, you get what you pay for. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Besides a little bit of shackle bolt clearancing necessary on my set, I can recommend the headman elite series. Thick flanges, easy bolt access, easy plug access, and pretty thick tubes, PLUS the ball/socket style connectors to the exhaust, not the standard leak prone collector gasket type.

69890 is the part number I have, which is for a non AIR/O2 setup, but I believe they make them with both of those. If not, O2 in the reducer so as not to void the warranty, would work.

I think Summit gets $270 for the 69890, even $100 more for AIR/O2 would be a good deal IMO.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you have a pm

9. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Thorley 364Y-DA Headers. This is what Thorley said to use because I have dual exhaust. Paid $356 at truckperformance.com They have the AIR fittings and an O2 fitting. Real good header. Thorley web site

APPLICATION:
    • 73-87 283-400 4WD Pickup, Suburban, full-size Blazer/Jimmy (no catalytic converter, no
    • heat riser)

NOTES:
    • Will fit with angle plug heads.
    • May require air conditioning bracket.
    • Specify smog - 87, 88 with dual air fittings (7/8"-18).
    • Available with smog hook-ups as part number:
    • THY-364Y-S (four small fittings on each side)
    • THY-364Y-DA (one large fitting on each side)

HEADER EXIT:
    • Dual

CONSTRUCTION:
    • 14-gauge mild steel
    • Tri-Y design

AVAILABLE FINISHES:
    • Nickel chrome
    • Metallic/ceramic coating (part number THY-364Y-C; THY-364Y-S-C or THY-364Y-DA-C
    • with smog)

[close window]

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are they California legal on an 85 with AIR, CCC, all smog stuff possible basically. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have Edelbrock TES headers. I found mine for $300 bucks. I have seen them for $275 from time to time. Just keep checking around, and you'll find some if you want to go that route. You could always try to find a out of state online store, and then not pay tax, and probably score free shipping too since the package is heavy, but not crazy, and probably would qualify if they have a deal going.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are they California legal on an 85 with AIR, CCC, all smog stuff possible basically. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some are, some aren't. You have to check through the site to figure out what is what.

13. rekvehicle

rekvehicle Registered Member

Thanks everyone ,I think I am going to get the set K20 has......

but I will keep everyones suggestions in mind if it doesn`t work out. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifRV