Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers for an '89

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Headers for an \'89

Since were putting the new motor in I thought about headers. My buddy got a pair of eldebrocks for his 90 and said he had to notch the frame 1/4" on the r. side because of the 02 sensor. He also said they tried several diferent brands and all were the same, Anyone hear of this?

I'd like to do headers but dont want to modify anything but the y-pipe.

2. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Re: Headers for an \'89

Headers....sure you want em? Years back I put some on my 89...insulate the starter from the heat, re-torque the header bolts periodically...pain in the a$$. I slapped the exhaust manifolds back on after a year or so. I really noticed no difference in performance with them either. Is the rest of your exhaust system large diameter pipe...like 2 1/2 or 3 inch? If not, the headers probably won't do much for performance/mileage. My 2 cents.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have the Edelbrock TES system on my 89. It fit perfict.. I did have to cut off about 1/2" off my shift rod. because it hit the header pipe when I put It in low. but that was the only problem. There is plenty of clearance for the 02 sensor and everything else. They are a pretty good header system. gave me a nice boost in low end power and havent had a leak in the 2 years its been on. I have the headers feeding into single 3" exahust with a Flowmaster Muff.
    Doug thorley also makes a good header system for TBI trucks that I have heard good things about also.

I forgot to add that if your rig is lifted over 4" the crossover pipe might hit on the front drive shaft with the Edelbrock TES system
    BTW Isn't Your 02 sensor on the left side? Mine is.

4. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

I have a set of JBA Headers on my 89 and had to do no cutting of the frame, but I did have to mod a bracket. They were a little bit of a pain to put on due to the fact that a couple of the bends in the headers make for a tight fit for some of the bolts. You more or less start with the tight fitting ones first and get the header sung, and then come back and do the easy bolts. These headers are high quality and I'm satisfied with them. One note if you order these headers, make sure that the O2 sensor will face the rear of the Blazer. The first set I received had the sensor facing the left side of the Blazer and I was not about to cut the frame. I paid about 350 for mine about five years ago.
    http://www.jbaheaders.com/productdetail.asp?productID=1830-5