Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers for my 76 K5 small block chevy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Nov 26, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Can someone help me pick out some headers? searching and reading the boards just get me more confused :confused: :confused:

I have a 1976 K5 blazer 350 small block (it might have been bored over, I don't know? does that matter?), I just want a simple answer and where to buy them at for a decent competitive price.

I just don't know how to figure out what header would be compatible to what "specs" I have? carb? smog? does that stuff matter to what headers I can choose?

Id like the headers to look good ( not a necessity) bolt on easy with as least amount of modifications as possible and of coarse gain me some good HP.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the first question will be:
    Do you have to smog the blazer?
    if yes then your choices narrow a bit.
    If not then sky is the limit or your wallet size :D

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I dont know man, im in Reno Nevada I just bought the blazer maybe a month ago and havent done any "paper work" on it yet. I thought I remember hearing a vehicle over 30 years old doesnt need a smog any more? How do I find out besides calling DMV?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Any smog shop or call DMV

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I was at DMV today and asked, nope I still have to get a smog. They said 68' and older dont need smog..

So now Ive "narrowed it down" what are my options?

I don't get it, I looked on the DMV receipt and my K5 passed smog in 06, but the exhaust doesn't have a catalectic converter? How did it pass smog? or does that have anything to do with it? If I get headers will it still pass smog without a cat on it? Do I need to ask DMV if I need to have a cat on my exhaust?

6. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I just found some headers in my area, but how do I figure out if they will fit?

Here is the ad and a picture

Hedman Headers (Chevy Small Block)

These are a set of Hedman headers. They are ceramic coated. This is a very nice feature cause they never get heat damage, they look great, they keep very cool! They are in brand new, perfect condition!

[​IMG]

I called and he said he would get back with me on what #'s are on the headers, If I write back on here with what numbers he gives me can you guys tell me if they will fit my 76' k5 or not?? What price should I pay for these? what questions should I ask him ect ect.....???

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

most 70's K5s and trucks didn't come with a cat from the factory, so you don't need it to smog. Basically any header is going to be "smog legal" on a 76 except in california. Get a summit catalog, order the $89 pair that fits your truck, and go nuts.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Look at your exhaust manifold, does it have any tubes coming off the top 1/2" size coming to one and going to a pump?
    If not then you can use any header.
    As for price, I have no idea try and look up the numbers on headman headers website and see what they go for new and then don't pay more than half.

9. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status