Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers for my 86

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balazerjake86, Nov 29, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

i have 86 blazer with a 4 inch lift and i want to put some headers on it. i know that i want shorties but what is the best bang for my buck and will i have to put a new exhaust system on if i do this?

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Where do you live? You have to go by your smog laws there if you have them and buy not only what will fit but what will pass smog...

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers [​IMG] and run 2.25" dual exhaust.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

First thing...Please take some time and fill out your Profile.

Next I'm Steph on this If you have any smog laws that will limit what you can do.
    There some company's like Edelbrock that have CARB legal setup's, I would say the next best thing to do is call a local exhaust shop.

Eric

5. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

OK practically any header will work on your style truck, i have an 86 and since i took the time to get to know people and am part of the local hotrod scene i have found ways around smog laws. I know peolpe in the exhaust business as well as people in the inspection business. Since i am on a limited budget i just went to the local parts house and got a set of headers for an 86 chevy truck 4x4 with a 350. now when you install headers you generally have to redo atleast part of the exhaust. I had the whole thing replaced. If I am wrong someone can interupt at anytime. Hope this helps somewhat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

i live in tn and i dont think there are any smog laws cause i have never had to take my car and have it passed. i was just wanting a little more power out of my stock 350 the only mods are performer intake and 650 edelbrock. how much will a good set cost me i dont do alot of 4x4 so i dont nedd a really good pair

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really recomened getting the good headers like the Doug Thorley. The biggest problem with the "Cheap" headers is they rust out, or blow out, leak, ...ect. Do yourself a favor, and get the good ones the first time.

8. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with Z3PR the better header you get the better performance you get out of it. if you want more performance out of it, you may want to think about a nice RV grind cam Will make a world of difference.