Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers for my ride.. Will it kill power in my ride specifically?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hello all. My DD is has a set of headers on it that are going south.... Looks liek I'll be rigging them for the time being until I can get new ones and new exhaust. I have never been a big header fan due to the problems with leaky gaskets and rusting, but they came on this ride when I bought it...

Ok, so do you think I really need them and they make that much of a difference? The truck specs are:
    383 - 350 .30 over, Trick Flow twisted Wedge heads, Scat 383 crank, Manley rods(6" I believe), KB Hyperu pistons, Comp cam, very hi compression(pings even when running 94oct without retarding the timing), Holley 670 TBI....

I cant see them making a huge difference on the butt-dyno, or will they? I would liek to go to manifolds so I dont have to worry about'em....

What'cha think?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Don't buy the shorty headers unless you want to lose some bottom end power, The full length headers will retain if not improve the power band. JMO.
    Bill

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have full length now. Where I am getting the leaks is down where all the pipes go into the collector. If they were shorties, I dont think I would have a probelm right now. SHorty's probably flow better than the stock mani's though.. yes/no?

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Check around, they have conversion kits for the collectors to go from flange to ball and cup style which will eliminate the leads at the collectors, as for the header to head check around for a quality header that has thick flange so that it won't warp under heat and use the trick header bolts with the c-clip lock to prevent them from vibrating out.
    Bill

5. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I would definitely stick with headers on your ride as it sounds like you're pumping quite a bit of air through that mill. If you aren't interested in fixing your collector problems and just want to get another set of headers, I highly suggest you get a set of Thorley Tri-Y headers. You will definitely feel a difference in low to mid-range power with these headers. I do not suggest getting the shorty headers as you will not realize much more power increase over stock exhaust manifolds, and you're going to end up spending money on having the rest of your exhaust lengthened to meet up with the shorty headers. The Thorleys aren't cheap but they are well worth the money.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not putting headers on that engine would be a total waste of all those performance parts. That engine could not breathe thru stock manifolds. There is a lot of $$$ tied up in all those good parts. Why put them on if you are just going to choke the engine?
    Even your Butt Dyno would notice a siginificant power drop if you go back to stock manifolds.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thorleys /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not putting headers on that engine would be a total waste of all those performance parts. That engine could not breathe thru stock manifolds. There is a lot of $$$ tied up in all those good parts. Why put them on if you are just going to choke the engine?
    Even your Butt Dyno would notice a siginificant power drop if you go back to stock manifolds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to agree 100% there. With all the hi-flow induction parts you've got, you need to make sure the spent gasses can leave just as fast. Step up to a high quality set of headers and some of those "header problems" might go away. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Tweety,

Every book I have read say shorty headers are for bottom end torque. Long tube headers are for high-end horsepower.

Looking at drag racers you can see they have very long tubes for their 8 - 10K rpm runs.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have read just the opposite. Ok, now...which is true?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They showed the dyno tests I believe it was in Car Craft not more than 3-4 months ago. Long tubes were the best for low end torque, shorties were good at high RPM's, and the Thorleys were NOT better than long tubes at lower RPM's which they made a specific note of.

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

WOW!!!

I found it... http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0312_test/index1.html

The Long and the Short of It

This is an interesting test of header length. Test 5 compares standard-length 15/8-inch headers to Test 6 with the same diameter but shorter-length intermediate headers. By looking at the Difference column, you can see that the shorter headers sacrificed torque below 3,600 rpm but made up for that by making as much as 23 more horsepower at the top. The average torque made by both engines is within 1 lb-ft , which is negligible. Basically, the shorter headers moved the torque higher up the rpm curve . If you plugged the intermediate-length header curve into a light car like an early Mustang or early Chevy II, for example, where you could not use a large tire, then the shorter headers might make traction a little easier to achieve. But you'd want to use the long-tube headers in a big, heavy vehicle or a truck where the stronger torque curve would help acceleration.

Test 5: A mild 355ci small-block with Hedman 1 5/8-inch, 34-inch long-tube headers with a 2 ½-inch exhaust system and a pair of Flowmaster mufflers.
    Test 6: Same as above except with a set of Hedman 1 5/8-inch intermediate-length headers.

I apologize. Apparently, I am wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif