Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers for my sub?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by swiggettbj, Mar 23, 2002.

1. swiggettbj

swiggettbj Registered Member

does anyine know of a company that makes headers that go over the frame for side pipes. Like the ones for Corvette and Camaro's. I need to locate a set for my 91 Suburban

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Side pipes? I like the idea... but unforunatley, I don't knwo of any companys of the top of my head... you might have to get a DIY header kit, or had them custom built for the job. you might see if oyu can find some from a wrecker in an old G series chevy van, or call up a header company and ask them...

-Rich

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can't think of where there's enough room for them to go over the frame. At least while still running decent off-road tires. Seems to me that the headers and the tire would want to occupy the same space at some point. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Swig
    I've got a 91 V1500, in process of conversion to V3500. I have installed hydroboost brakes and am readying the 14 bolt FF and D60 axles (4.10) for installation. I am running only a 2-1/2" lift, just enough to get some arch in the front springs. Planning installation of TH400/GV overdrive and NP205 with a 383, maintaining stock springs for ride.
    I do not believe you will find an "over the frame" header out of the box for our application. However, I am planning a sidepipe installation on my 67 Vette using Stahl headers and Spiral Turbo Technologies sidepipes and baffles (check those out at www.spiralturbotechnologies.com). Even as low as the Vette is, the headers exit UNDER the frame. That old "over the frame" stuff is straight line drag race application. I think Hooker, Edelbrock and Thorley, at least, make headers for the Sub, but probably not side-exits. If you have a buddy at a speed shop or in a Corvette club, maybe you can trial fit some fo the Corvette sidepipe headers prior to purchasing. A friend of mine is using block huggers (Sandersons are nice) and fabbing a pipe to connect with the sidepipes.

Check with some of the advertisers here - these guys do a lot of 73-71 work on bumpers and the like. I just bought a brush guard off a salvage Border Patrol truck for the Sub...

Also check out the vmag forum for Subs - a lot of later model stuff there, but good tech advice when you need it (http://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0102/)
    Take care and good luck, soldier.
    JB