Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers from a Chevelle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jun 24, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My friends dad has a chevelle he is restoring and he is puttin new headers on it so he wants to sell me his old headers. They are performance headers so i'd really like to put them in my truck, i just have no clue if they would actually fit on my engine. I have a 305 if that would help. So anyone know if it would work? Thanks Mike

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They will bolt to your motor(if its the same as the chevelle's)--but its doubtful they will miss your frame and springs,etc,maybe someone on here has tried to use them and can give you an answer--or you could try them if you have the time to spend--we bolt some strange stuff together at the salvage yard that was never meant to be--many times it works so well its almost scary!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

actually from what i heard they will fit just fine and even miss the frame. atleast as far as 2wds are concerned, dont know about 4x4s. but i heard they do clear everything.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My blazer has the full length headers off my 71 chevelle. They clear the frame just fine. The problem you will run into is the collector flange on the passenger side is uncomfortably close to the u joint, or in my case cv joint, where it comes out of the T case. What I did was bolt on the headers and put a big c clamp from the collector to the frame. I had a friend hea the primaries with a torch while I cranked on the C clamp to pull the collector away from that U joint. The headers are hooker headers and my rig is a '79 with 350/th350/np203. Another problem is on that particular drivetrain there is a support that runs from the tcase to one of the engine to tranny bolts on the bellhousing. This brace is right in the way. I had to cut about 4" off the collector and weld the flange back on then make an S pipe to hook around that brace.

Now there is decent clearence for everything. But yes you ma run into issues on the install.