Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers??? headman vs. hooker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarsonRoen, Jul 17, 2000.

1. CarsonRoen

CarsonRoen Registered Member

i have been looking at new headers for quit some time, and i can't decide what kind are best. i have mostly been looking at the hooker super competition headers and the headman something or other header. i was just wondering if anyone had advice for me? thanks for your time.

2. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I went with hedman for the sole reason there the only ones i could find to fit my 71 with a 454......doenst help you much though...

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but none of the above. The answer for a small block 73 or later K5 is <font color=black>Flowtech Afterburners</font color=black>. Ceramic coated ones will be about $220 and you won't lose your low end torque.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Doug Thorley's are the best in my book.... Larger flange less exhaust leaks..... last time I checked they are 50 state legal.... and make sure you coat them what ever brand you get or you'll be under your truck every few months changing out the starter.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with Blazer79, I just installed a set of afterburners. It was quite painless and they did make a difference in performance.

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I'm with C'moe, Thorleys all the way! I've got a set and a couple of friends do, too. They don't leak at the collectors like the cheapies and the head flanges are super-thick and haven't leaked on our trucks yet! They also have the most awesome service, I know from experience with them! And they come with a nickle plating that has held up on my truck for 3 years now in constant mud/moisture.

Where's C'curly and C'larry?

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Two questions - what did you pay for the Thorleys? And how is your spark plug boot access on them.

Thanks in advance........fixing my motor on my 79 and want to add headers.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com