Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headers, heat riser, manual choke?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Aug 22, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I was talking to my dad about putting headers on my jimmy and he said something about not being able to use the heat riser going to the air cleaner. Then he said I'll have to use a manual choke. So what should I do? Is there another carb with an auotmatic choke or something, should I use the manual choke or just forget about the headers? Also If I'm not going to be using the heatriser would I get better performance (besides looking cooler) if I got 1 of those chrome air filter housings that are open all the way around? What else will I have to do, tweak the air/fuel mixture, time it? thanks for the help

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Do you know what kind of carb you have now? I've got an edelbrock performer with an electric choke. The heat riser just helps your engine warm up faster, so you don't really need it. But you don't need to have a manual choke with headers.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

3. anatomiczero

That's what I was thinking of, electric choke. As far as we know the carb is the stock 4 brl. So I can get a carb with electric choke and the chrome air filter housing will work good? Or should I keep it, there's a couple of tubes going to it I think, do I need those? Is there anything I should worry about with a new carb, and will it give me more power/ throttle response?

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The heat riser and the headers really don't have anything to do with the choke. If your choke works now, it will still work just fine if you add headers. No reason to swap carbs or to swap to an electric choke.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check with the header company. Many of them make adapters that clamp around one of the header tubes so that you can still use the heat riser. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Muddin', we don't all have the luxury of living in Texas [​IMG].

If you live in cold climates, Northeast, Canada, Michigan, Dakotas, etc. you will be pi$$ed if you disconnect the heat riser. As said before they make specific and universal heat risers that clamp to one of the header tubes. You can take it off for the warm season and put it back on for the cold season. As stated headers have nothing to do with the choke so your carb should be fine. As far as open element air cleaner housings, they allow free'er airflow, but if used in severe cold weather, you will not get the engine to run correctly (ask me how I know [​IMG]). In climates like Texas, I would get rid of the heat riser and run an open element air cleaner, but in colder climates I would keep the stock set-up with a clamp on heat riser for the header tube or have one setup (stock) for when weather gets cold, and another (open element) when the weather warms up. My $.02.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Sorry [​IMG]. Didn't check the profile [​IMG]

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We'll let it slide........THIS TIME. J/K [​IMG]

P.S. If it's any consolation, I wished I lived in Texas. My friend moved down there 12 years ago and he loves it.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

ya open element air filters are great untill they get wet from a deep or even shallow water crossing just keeo that in mind. also cold air makes more HP.

10. anatomiczero

Thanks guys, I live in Washington so it gets really cold in the morning. I will leave the stock air setup and maybe I'll get a open housing when it gets warm again. Good to know I don't have to swap anything cuz it starts up perfectly now. I'll just get some headers and clamp the heat riser on somewhere. It's gonna sound awesome driving with open headers to the muffler shop:)

Black 1980 GMC Jimmy
    350-TH350-NP205
    Dual glasspacks

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I live in Maine, I took off my heat riser way back. Probally why it takes my truck about 10 miles to heat all the way up. but I don't really care, I let it run for a little bit before I go anyways. I'm now running a dual snorkle intake so It'll probally take longer to warm up. But I don't think it is a really big deal to take the heat riser off.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>