Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers in Colorado

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sjeccles, Aug 24, 2001.

1. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

Are headers legal in colorado? I"m buliding a small block for a friend that lives in Colorado springs for his 86 K5. I know that they wont cause more emmisions but will they pass visual inspection??

Thanks

90 K5 jimmy

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

If the factory manifolds ran AIR tubes then your new headers will need to as well. Also, you must run one cat if the vehicle uses unleaded. You might get Loni at the emmissions center (they are in the phone book) to cut you some slack on the cat if you run two but you'll need to contact him and take the vehicle in.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

If the factory manifolds ran AIR tubes then your new headers will need to as well. Also, you must run one cat if the vehicle uses unleaded. You might get Loni at the emmissions center (they are in the phone book) to cut you some slack on the cat if you run two but you'll need to contact him and take the vehicle in.

4. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

The safest bet is to go with a set of headers that comes with a C.A.R.B. number. They will pass all the inspections and have a decal that you put someplace under the hood where is lists the exemption number. Most header manufacturers will specify if their headers are set up for emissions controlled vehicles.

One word of advice, I had nothing but trouble with the Edelbrock headers, they crack at the collector and at the welds. They use very thin gauge steel. The best ones I have found are the Thorley Tri-Y headers.