Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers on a 400 SB.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by monte0172, Sep 23, 2002.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I recently had my tranny rebuilt and upon pulling the old rusty exhaust out i noticed that one of my manifolds was split clean in two. Now i got a set of cheap flowtech headers and was wondering how much of a B**** it is to switch them out. This is still a bone stock engine with every original part that came on it from the factory including A/C. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have hooker headers on my 400 sbc and helped a buddy put flowtechs on his 350. A couple things I found to make it easier is pull the dip stick tube and the spark plugs. I cut my old exhuast off and ran straigh headers for a couple days till I got to the exhaustshop for new dual 2.5" pipes. You might think about notching the tubes where the bolt holes aretoo to make it easier to put a wrench on the bolts.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

*sigh*

please fill out your profile so we know what year, etc. your rig is

unless it is a late 80's early 90's K5 the header bolts will be pretty rusty. if not totally rusted on. a 1 hr. spaying of PB Blaster is in order. one good blast on each bolt every 10 minutes.

The A/C stuff will be in the way. if it is too much of a hassle, snake them up from the bottom.

ARP header bolts are great. My buddy has had his headers on and off many tims over the years and they are great. give a good seal too.