Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers on! BIHATCH!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Dec 29, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Took awhile and only five bolts per side right now. BUT, once i get my driveshaft back i'm goin to the exhaust shop and having them pull out the one bolt that broke off and put in the one bolt that won't go in for some reason. i'll get them to put in new gaskets as well. any thought i'd let ya'll know, and there'll be a sound clip up comparing old to new soon. WAY louder /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Loud is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieRed

YES! YES! oh it sounds cammed out at idle /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Chevrolet... 4x4... Headers... Loud... sounds good to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BowtieRed

ok- all of the paint on the headers has change to a grayish brown, except one cylinder. is it safe to assume that cylinder isn't firing properly?

also at first i melted the positive cable to the headers, thus grounding the truck and meltiing the negative terminal on the battery. now when i drive sometimes it bogs at low RPM and high throttle, but not always- could that be electricity jumping that gap (haven't replaced the wire, YET, will today) and grounding the truck temporarily?

one LAST question. at idle every couple seconds there is a very noticeable thud type vibration coming from the engine. could this just be a misfire?

thanks.

7. BowtieRed

SONOFA!

ok, went to replace the positive cable, took the starter off to access the solenoid- put on the wrench to remove the nut holding the cables on and the plastic holding the nut broke. the starter is new, so that should be covered by its 'lifetime warrantee' right? tha'ts just routine maintenence. advance is usually pretty good about it so i'm gonna go try. i have the worst luck.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They'll hook you up with a new starter, relax and take it back.

9. BowtieRed

put the new starter in, and went to reconnect the battery- engine started to turn over. DAMMIT, what did i do? something crossing the starter terminals?

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif sounds like somthing i would do you probably got the wires reversed i THINK the top on is for you main power(i cant rember i have a mini starter now so i cant messup /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

He just had the positive cable touching the S terminal on the starter solenoid. It's all good now.