Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headers or Manifolds Who Cares???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az88k5, Nov 2, 2004.

1. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I put headers from my old motor on my new crate 350. Not sure what brand of headers they are. They came with the truck so I didn't really think of going with anything else. Wondering if I should put some manifolds on for reliability reasons. I will be getting new exhaust system soon. The headers have some rust on them is this a problem I should fix? Or just run'em! I have a pressure blaster I use to glass bead pool tile with. Should I glass bead refinish and Hi-temp paint my old headers, or buy manifolds? Or just run the hell out of them! /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

The worst header will flow bwetter than the best manifolds, i would just run them, go for it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

The only reason i ask is because my friend asked me why I am still running headers. I told him /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif they came with the truck.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would just run them how they are, no blasting. I don't like manifolds because of problems with the 3 studs that hold the pipe on rusting and never coming apart. Headers can make the exhaust sound cooler too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I always wondered if headers would help a motor run cooler since they flow better? Or does it not matter?

-Chris

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think they help it run any cooler, nothing noticable on your temp gauge anyway. I just think they sound cool, they give an exhaust system a lot meaner tone.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Try-Y headers, run them otherwise run a good cast iron manifold.

8. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I like quiet rigs when 4wheeling. I don't like super loud exhaust and I like to keep from frying my starter solenoid. Sure you could use a starter solenoid from a ford but I'd rather run manifolds. I don't like the heavy duty shackle conflict when running headers either. But I don't run leafsprings anymore.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like quiet rigs when 4wheeling. I don't like super loud exhaust and I like to keep from frying my starter solenoid. Sure you could use a starter solenoid from a ford but I'd rather run manifolds. I don't like the heavy duty shackle conflict when running headers either. But I don't run leafsprings anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

My shackle bolt doesn't even come close... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[​IMG]

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

run the headers. why, because they're what you have, and they wont cost you anything. sounds like a good enough reason for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd run the headers you have for now. If you want too upgrade, you can always buy yourself a new set of Thorleys.

12. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

If you keep the headers you might consider sending them out for ceramic coating after a good bead blast. The coating will keep the temperatures down and inhibit rust through.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I'll trade any header concerns (leaky connections from loosened bolts being the most common) for reliability of manifolds any day of the week.

Manifolds fail too, and as was mentioned, if you ever want to get the pipes off, good luck NOT breaking the exhaust studs on manifolds.

You can bolt them on and not have problems for a long time (typically) but headers are "free" power, especially if they are already there. +20-40HP on a stock 350 is absolutely the norm with headers over manifolds.

As cheap as headers are, even for decent ones, I'd run what you have until they rot out, and get another set.

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    headers / manifolds

[/ QUOTE ]

>5000 rpm - you need headers

<5000 rpm - I prefer manifolds

It's that simple! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Marv

15. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

My headers are the reason I am 2wd right now. Switching to manifolds, due to a deminishing wallet. My headers hang down too low now that I dropped her down from 12" susp+3" body to 6" suspension.

16. swissk5

swissk5 Registered Member

I've got an '86 blazer that originally had the 304 engine built in. someone swapped the engine to a 350 but stuck to the original exhaust manifolds. somehow the block that was put in is shorter than the original engine, so the last bolt closest to the passengers feet can't be fastened. there just isn't no block behind the hole anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    this leaking makes my blazer sound like a vw beetle.
    so is the '86 something special or is the new engine something special? because i'm thinking about getting thorley headers and would like them to fit..

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Some 305's did have weird bolt patterns on the heads for the exhaust manifolds for a few years---I think they had 5 bolts instead of the usual six,and only on the passenger side(might be wrong about that--havent seen one in a long time!).They had an adapter plate to make headers fit on those heads if I remeber correctly--it might not be available anymore,since there werent that many vehicles with the oddball bolt patterns built.Someone on here has probably run into the same dilema,they can most likely give you some advice about making the manifolds fit--or if not you will have to get a 350 manifold. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I prefer headers for high RPM and manifolds for low RPM (normal) useage.

19. swissk5

swissk5 Registered Member

thanks alot for that info diesel4me! guess there was one of those weirdo 305's in there before then.. i'll go ahead and just swap the 305 manifolds for 350 thorley headers. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif